Chappell, Replogle taking reins of younger squad

Football

Having lost 20 seniors and returning only four defensive starters from last season, IU coach Bill Lynch ended 2009 with a hazy view of his team’s on-field leadership.
Entering the spring, things have become much clearer.

In his March 22 press conference, Lynch was quick to tag to-be seniors quarterback Ben Chappell and linebacker Tyler Replogle as key leaders. Four weeks into spring practices, they have done nothing to change his mind.

“You’ve got to perform,” Lynch said. “On the field, you’ve got to back up what you’re saying. That’s why you want your best players to be your leaders on the field, because certainly guys are willing to follow.”  

Based on resume alone, Chappell started to collect a following last season. He ranked third in the Big Ten in 2009 in passing, tossing nearly 3,000 yards and 17 touchdowns.  

Coming off an honorable mention All-Big Ten season, Chappell said he needs to be the one steering the offense toward victory.

“I’ve got to just be smart, get us in the right play, don’t turn the ball over, score in the red zone and stuff like that,” he said. “I’ve just got to be the guy to step up and make a play and get the team in the right place.”

On the flip side, Replogle has also been building a reputation for himself. After recording 80 tackles — second highest on the team — his defensive mates said he has established himself.

Before practices started, Replogle told the team to make the best of the spring and have fun with it. After all, he said, if you aren’t having fun then you shouldn’t be here.  
“I think he’s stepped up as a huge leader on this defense,” said to-be senior safety Mitchell Evans. “Everybody’s going to stand behind him. He stood up and spoke to us in the meeting room and I think the guys respected that.”

Evans, who played wide receiver last season, will start in a defensive backfield unit returning only one starter. That, he said, leaves the door open for him to take the reins.

“I was there as a leader on the offense,” Evans said. “I think I have that personality and I’m going to try and lead over here. Even if I’m not on the field I’m going to try and lead and keep guys positive.”

As Evans attempts that transition, Replogle said he knows what he has to do to be the dominant voice on the defense.

“Just trying to do your job and make sure you lead by example,” he said. “Anyone can step up and talk to people, but people really respect someone who can do it.”