Breaking down an exchange

Rules

The exchange must be completed within the distance of the team’s pit and the adjacent pit (32 feet).

In case of a bike-to-bike exchange, the receiving rider can place his/her bike against the back line of the preceding pit. The rider must stay stationary until a “tag” is executed by the incoming rider. The giving rider will have until the end of the team’s pit to stop the incoming bike.

Incoming riders must stop within their pit area. Another team member may not stop these riders.

Dismount to mount

1. The first rider exits the pack and coasts to the team’s assigned pit.

2. The first rider sets the bike’s pedals so they are parallel to the ground with the left foot in the front and the right foot in the back.

3. The first rider dismounts by first swinging his left foot over the bike and onto the ground, followed by the left foot. The rider comes to a running stop.

4. As the first rider dismounts, the second rider grabs the handlebars and either steps onto one pedal to swing the body over the bike or jumps onto the bike seat before placing his or her feet on the pedals and pedaling away.

“Ghost exchange” (seldom used)

1. The first rider follows the initial steps of the traditional dismount style; however, he sets the handlebars facing forward and grabs the bike seat.

2. Holding onto the bike seat, the rider pushes himself off the back of the bike; the bike continues moving forward with no one on it (the “ghost rider”).

3. The second rider grabs the handlebars and jumps on the bike.

Bike-to-bike

This exchange is used when team members are not similar in height. One rider touches the shoulder of another rider who then, from a dead stop, begins to jump on his bike.

— Nathan Hart