Interactive Quiz Bowl to promote Women’s History Month

The Office of Women’s Affairs is celebrating Women’s History Month with its first interactive, jeopardy-style quiz bowl from 7 to 9 p.m. today in the Willkie Auditorium.

Katrina Reynolds, director of student and staff advocacy for the office, said the inspiration for the event came from the OWA’s motto of “creating opportunities, empowering our world, facilitating access” with a desire for a fun event focused on student participation.

“Everyone has heard the saying ‘knowledge is power,’ and we in OWA want students to be empowered by the great accomplishments of women in history,” Reynolds said.
Topics covered at the quiz bowl will range from famous women to true or false statistics.

The event will be run with faculty and staff, such as Dean Pamela Freeman from Student Ethics and Assistant Athletics Director Mattie White, presenting the questions as different groups compete to answer first.

Prizes include a dinner with women’s basketball coach Felisha Legette-Jack; a professional photo shoot by a University photographer; gift cards to Walmart and Campus Foods and an audience drawing for a Maruca purse.

Participants for the Quiz Bowl include teams composed from IU organizations such as the Savant Peer Educators and Women in Computing.

Senior Emily Guadagno, the events co-chairwoman of WIC, said her organization’s group of four women is looking forward to participating in the Quiz Bowl and spreading awareness of organizations for women.

“We are a women’s group, and we want to get more people involved and we want to support other women’s groups,” Guadagno said.

Reynolds also said the majority of teams for the quiz bowl are individual students who formed teams with fellow peers and students.

“We are particularly pleased with the fact that most of the student teams are co-ed,” she said.
Students and others not participating in the quiz bowl are encouraged to attend the event for what Reynolds described as a “game-night atmosphere.”

“OWA hopes that students will leave with a knowledge regarding the contributions of women that they didn’t have before,” Reynolds said.