Familiar fables spin dark tale in ‘Into the Woods’

Into the woods

Cinderella, Rapunzel and other fairy-tale characters will come together this weekend at the John Waldron Arts Center when senior Josh Cohen presents “Into the Woods,” a musical about what happens when familiar fables entwine.

“It’s kind of like when fairy tales collide,” said graduate student Rachel Erie, who portrays the baker’s wife.

Erie said the story revolves around a curse placed on a baker and his family. They must travel throughout familiar fantasy worlds in order to have it removed. Along the way they stumble upon other fairy-tale creatures still staggering through their own adventures, including Jack from “Jack and the Beanstalk” and Little Red Riding Hood, she said.

The cast ranges in experience from freshmen through doctoral students, including members of the Indianapolis Opera, Cohen said. There will be six performances beginning Friday and continuing through next week, with seating for about 150.

Originally produced by composer Stephen Sondheim, the musical is a morality tale about what happens when someone goes too far to get the things they want, Cohen said.  

“‘Into the Woods’ is all about fairy tales and different characters all trying to get their wishes granted,” he said. “It’s about what are the consequences? How far would I go to get what I want? Would I cause pain to someone else? Things like that.”

Cohen, who previously produced the first stage adaptation of Joss Whedon’s Internet musical Dr. Horrible last semester, said he decided to put together “Into the Woods” because of its ability to spark peoples’ imaginations.  

The performance was put together by Cohen’s production company, JCA Management, with most of the $30,000 budget coming out of his own pocket. A crew of nearly 50 and a cast of 17 were required to bring it all together, but none are being paid, Cohen said. Profits will go to cover the cost of production, with all remaining proceeds donated to various charities throughout Indiana.

Though the story serves as a warning about the dangers of selfish desires, it’s also known for its dark sense of humor, graduate student and cast member Sean McCarther said.

McCarther, who portrays the baker, said although the first act is generally lighthearted and funny as the characters attain their desires, the second act is darker and ripe with the cynicism and wit for which Sondheim is known.

Erie said the show will appeal to viewers interested in literature because of Sondheim’s use of lyrics and comedy.

“It’s hilarious; it has maybe a darker, sarcastic sense of humor but a lot of really great, funny moments,” she said. “And a lot of tender moments, as well. There’s definitely a good message at the end of the show.”

Cohen said he hopes that when people see the show, they’ll see something they can relate to.

“This show is very much about everyone’s desires, and it’s something we can all relate to in today’s society,” he said. “What can you afford to have now and what is worth fighting for?”