Energy challenge gets green light

Energy

Miley Cyrus’s “Party in the USA” could be heard in the halls as the stoplight/energy challenge kickoff party reached full swing in Willkie Auditorium.

Forest Quad, Read Center and Willkie Quad’s student governments sponsored the annual party to bring awareness to students about the importance of conserving energy.

The theme of the night was to simulate a stoplight. Residents wore red if they are taken, yellow if it is complicated and green if they are single. Students were also given glow sticks at the door before they entered the dark room.

“I think it’s a really cool idea,” said Becky Rocco, a freshman and senator for student government. “It’s raining and students don’t want to go out, so they can stay in and party here.”

Students mingled, ate and played with the glow sticks. Glow stick limbo, achieved by connecting several glow sticks together, was a popular game of the night.

Junior Robin Spencer, Read’s student government president, said she looks forward to students learning more about the month-long challenge. During this competition, all the residence halls as well as 31 greek houses and eight academic buildings will compete to save the most energy.

Spencer said for the first time, more buildings on campus are joining the challenge.

“It’s getting bigger,” she said. “We are providing a lot of information about conserving energy. We want everyone here to remind friends, roommates and most of all have a good time.”

Freshman Shelia Hall said she planned to have fun. She showed off her red top as she thought about what she was doing to save energy.

“I’m taking the stairs,” she said. “It helps the elevators conserve energy. Also, not taking a million showers a day and making sure there are no leaks.”