Wisconsin downs IU, 78-46

mbball wisc

The Hoosiers were looking for a streak-stopper, but after a lackluster performance against the Badgers on Thursday night, their historically-long losing streak has reached nine games with a 78-46 loss.

IU (9-18, 3-12) never gave itself a chance for a victory, shooting a lowly 37.5 percent from the field while allowing No. 19 Wisconsin (21-7, 11-5) to knock down 54.7 percent of its shots.

Freshman forward Derek Elston was the only Hoosier in double digits, scoring a team-high 12 points while grabbing 7 rebounds. Outside of him, IU had slim pickings offensively. Freshman forward Christian Watford and sophomore guard Verdell Jones, the team's leading scorers this season, scored 8 points each.

The Hoosiers didn't make a 3-point basket for the second time this season, going 0-5 from beyond the arc. Wisconsin, meanwhile, was sizzling from downtown, shooting 8-11.

The Badgers had five players in double digits, led by guard Trevon Hughes' 17 points. Forward Jon Leuer chipped in 11 points and a game-high 9 rebounds.

IU coach Tom Crean took out his frustration on the officials and was subsequently ejected in the second half.

IU will hit the road again this weekend, traveling to Iowa (9-18, 3-11) on Sunday at 6 p.m. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hoosiers in their first meeting, 58-43, on Jan. 24.

-Ryan Winn