The wall of shame

WEEKEND staffers share their most embarrasing Facebook moments

Facebook Connected

Identities are kept semi-anonymous to prevent reliving painful experiences.

MK: One day I was on facebook on my phone and saw that a picture of me in an extremely inebriated state with my eyes closed and rubbing my belly had been posted. I immediately wanted to remove the tag but my phone glitched out on me forcing me to endure a painful two hour-long class before I could get a computer. Knowing people could be looking at that picture in those two hours of class extremely distressing.

KD: When I first realized I could update my Facebook status from my phone, I was ecstatic. I programmed it in as one of my contacts and made witty status updates while in the middle of class, walking on campus, riding in the car, etc. One night, I set my phone down at a frat party. Bad idea. One of the boys that I know ended up picking up my phone and sending Facebook status updates from my phone about topics that involved bodily functions, etc. The worst part was that, for whatever reason, there was a Facebook glitch that night, so instead of all popping up at once, those status updates popped up on my Facebook throughout the next week, making them impossible to catch and delete right away. I am still terrified there will be a random status update from that night that is just hanging around cyberspace just waiting to be added.

AJ: Once I made the mistake of typing my Facebook password out in front of my then-boyfriend. To my surprise, he followed my fingers and figured out my password. I didn’t think of it as a big deal at the time, since we were good friends. But after we broke up he decided to hack into my Facebook, pose as me and talk to my friends, asking about himself while chatting with them. Luckily for me, I noticed the chat window was still up when I signed in later that day. I immediately changed my password, and will never let another person know my Facebook password again.  It was definitely one of the most invasive things a person has done to me in my life.

BW: A friend posted something on my wall saying a photo of me has strangely shown up on another Web site. The link directed me to a page claiming to be a private photo-sharing site. A pop-up with a somewhat haunting voiceover instructed me to take a quiz. Not realizing I could remove the window at any time, I completed the quiz and found the picture to be nothing more than a monkey with the caption, “It’s You!” Still though, my friend claimed he never posted anything on my wall.

MW: Beware of what you post on Facebook. You never know who is watching, literally. Facebook has been a cause of arguments between me and my little brother. Sometimes he gets embarrassed by stupid pictures of a crazy night or me in a leotard – naturally. It’s just that his bitchy friends sometimes feel the need to tell him about any posting of me that seems scandalous. The worst thing about Facebook is that you never want someone to discover an aspect of your personality that they are unfamiliar with through the Internet. Especially family members who are friends of yours. Also, a word to the wise: Never post status updates with angry sentiments attached to them. It’s a terrible way to start a two-or-40-way-fight that will inevitably land on everyone’s News Feeds.