The state of the University is far from strong; it’s pathetic

Bryce Smedley
is a CWA Local 4730 Executive Board member and IU support staff member.

IU President Michael McRobbie delivered his annual State of the University address yesterday amidst a terrible economic recession.

As a member of support staff and one of the lowest-income earners on campus, I find the State of the University far from strong. I find it pathetic.

Many of my colleagues are taking the brunt of revenue shortfalls, reorganization efforts and a multi-year salary freeze, as well as receiving threats of layoffs, possible unpaid furloughs, and increases in health care costs. At the same time, the support staff is being asked to carry a bigger load and more responsibility than ever before as reorganization and cost-cutting measures often dictate that each employee shoulder more work.

Overall, the disparity between the rich and poor on campus is only growing wider, promoting an economic servitude to the rich on campus.

President McRobbie has been forced to make tough decisions, but these decisions have not included enough input from staff, faculty and those who will be impacted most. The Communications Workers union Local 4730, representing support staff, has been denied direct participation in the Blue Ribbon Health Care Committee, and President McRobbie has declined to meet with the union in person. Even the faculty have complained about their lack of involvement.

The University cannot be strong if decisions are not made with direct participation from all stakeholders.

According to IU spokesman Larry McIntyre, “President McRobbie ... will try to make all these cuts without having any negative impact on the University’s primary missions.”

Such words have been uttered often and leave staff to conclude that they are not considered critical to the mission of the University and that new building projects take precedence over struggling families.

If the State of the University is strong, then why are so many employees struggling? Many have taken second jobs; we have less to spend at the grocery store, and some are unable to pay their bills. We want the University to succeed and be strong and are committed to our students and faculty. We only hope our top administrative officials would believe in our capabilities as staff to directly contribute to decisions that impact our lives. We teach students about fairness, so we should lead by example.  

At February’s trustees meeting, we heard IU had rejected federal stimulus money. This money could have been used to curtail staff reductions and delay or prevent the pain suffered by many workers while providing IU more time to come up with solutions to its fiscal woes that did not involve job losses.

Instead, IU decided 147 jobs lost on campus was a small price to pay in order to meet its fiscal obligations while not sacrificing any of its beloved building projects.

The University is only as strong as the people who attend, teach and work at the University. President McRobbie, if you truly want the University to succeed, then maybe it’s time to put IU employees and families first by protecting our jobs.