Madness, deceit, murder onstage in ‘Lucia’

Splattered in blood, grasping the knife with which she has just murdered her brand new husband, Lucia stumbles across the stage in a stupor. Her mind nearly gone, she muses about her true love while onlookers stare in shock.

This is the culmination of family plots and deceit in IU’s production of “Lucia di Lammermoor.” The opera opened Friday and will conclude its run with two performances 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

“Lucia” follows its title character, who has fallen in love with Edgardo, the leader of a rival family. But Lucia’s brother Enrico has other plans for her: He wants her to marry Arturo, a lord who might be able to rescue their fortunes.

After Enrico fools Lucia into thinking Edgardo has deserted her, she gives in and marries Arturo. Then, in a fit of madness, she murders Arturo, all the while dreaming out loud about her fantasy wedding to Edgardo.

Angela Kloc, a first-year graduate student who portrayed Lucia on opening night, said the madness scene is one of the most important parts of the opera.

“This scene is what the audience always waits for and will always be bone-chilling,” Kloc said.

Senior Christina Brumfield, who attended the Friday opening performance, said she had mixed feelings about the opera but enjoyed the madness scene.

“There wasn’t much action in it,” Brumfield said. “But the madness was the best part.”

Although the scene is a pivotal part of the opera, many earlier scenes appear and
sound cheerful despite the dark subject matter. For example, Lucia’s recollection of a ghost sighting featured upbeat tones and melodies.

Arthur Fagen, conductor of the performances and professor in the Jacobs School of Music, said the opera is full of striking scenes.

“It’s one of these Bel canto operas, which have such a highly charged emotional and dramatic content,” he said.

Stage director James Marvel said he wanted to explore new character depths when he created the opera.

“I believe our approach to Enrico’s character shows his vulnerable side more explicitly than most productions, and I also believe our interpretation of Edgardo is a bit stronger and less inclined towards self pity than many productions,” Marvel said.

Besides more realistic male characters, Kloc said Lucia has universal appeal.

“She is a young girl trying to simply live her life and to try to find happiness,” Kloc said.