sports water polo

Kohli using national experience with Canadian team to power Hoosiers

The IU women’s water polo team has been ready for its 16 potential road trips this season, and for sophomore Jakie Köhli, the trips have been part of daily life at IU.

Sitting poolside and waiting for substitution during practice, Köhli looks no different than the other 21 other Hoosiers. What distinguishes the 5-foot-10-inch attacker is her long journey from Burnaby, B.C., Canada, her hometown.

“When I made the decision to come to IU, I did not know much about what I would get here,” she said. “But when I visited the campus afterwards, I enjoyed it so much.”

Köhli talked to some of her friends before coming to IU and learned this was a team-oriented work group, something Köhli felt she would fit into nicely.

Starting 25 of 36 games as a freshman last season, Köhli was named Western Division Rookie of the Year and earned an All-Conference Second Team nomination.
Köhli’s success brought her to the 2009 Federation Internationale du Sport Universitaire Games and the World University Games, representing Canada in both.

Although mainly a spectator, Köhli said she grew through her international experience.

“Though I didn’t play a lot in the national team in the summer, I gained a lot of experience and learned from other players,” she said. “Most importantly, my confidence was boosted.”

Köhli’s effort with the Canadian national team has translated well to her jump-start in her sophomore season.

She led the team with nine goals through the kickoff weekend at Ann Arbor, Mich.
Köhli said she played mostly defense in Canada but expects an offensive injection this season, because she feels she can complement her defense with her shooting.

“Coach King wants me to play more aggressively and involved more in offense this year,” she said.

As she travels, she avoids a culture shock because she loves to see different things around the United States.

Easing the transition is her teammate and friend, junior Kelsey Campbell. From Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada, Campbell has been playing with Köhli since their time north of the border, and Campbell looks forward to future years with her fellow countrywoman.

“Jakie is a tough defensive player – smart, always being anticipated,” Campbell said. “She has been well involved in the team.”