sports wrestling

IU splits matches against Big Ten foes

Wrestling

IU coach Duane Goldman has repeatedly stressed the need for upset victories in Big Ten play.

On Friday night, Goldman got exactly what he was asking for, in dramatic fashion.

IU sophomore Matt Powless defeated Illinois’ No. 9 ranked Patrick Bond on a buzzer beater takedown to propel the No. 14 Hoosiers (13-1, 2-1) over No. 24 Illinois (6-5, 1-2) 22-13.

The battle at 197 lbs. between Powless and Bond was to decide who would have the lead heading into the heavyweight match.

The Hoosiers had an advantage of 15-13 at that point, due to victories from senior Angel Escobedo at 125 lbs., sophomore Matt Ortega at 133 lbs., junior Kurt Kinser at 157 lbs., and junior Paul Young at 165 lbs.

Last weekend, Powless suffered an 11-1 loss to Wisconsin’s No. 8 ranked Trevor Brandvold. Powless admits that the loss was tough to swallow.

“Losing to (Brandvold) last week brought my confidence way down,” Powless said.
But the Newburgh, Ind., native knew he had to get back to work to face another top ten opponent in Bond. Powless showed no lack in confidence throughout the entire match.

With the riding time advantage secured and the score at 2-1, the match was virtually a tie late in the third period. Overtime was the furthest thing from Powless’ mind.

“I knew that I wanted to attack right then and not send it into overtime,” Powless said.

Then Powless delivered the move of his young career, dropping Bond to the mat at the buzzer to get the two point takedown.

The dramatic win sent the Hoosier crowd at University Gym into a frenzy.
The buzzer beater takedown improved Powless’ record to 23-9 and could move him back into the national rankings.

The underclassman knew that he had something to prove and rose to the occasion.
“I wanted to show that I can hang with the guys in the Big Ten and that I belong here,” Powless said.

But while IU fared well against the Illini, they could not overcome the balanced
attack of No. 4 Ohio State (14-1, 4-0) at University Gym on Sunday.

The 22-13 defeat marks the first home loss for the Hoosiers in Big Ten play.

As usual, the Hoosiers started off the match with a lead because of a 15-5 major win from Escobedo.

The lead would not last for long, as the Hoosiers suffered losses at 133 lbs., 141 lbs. and 149 lbs.

A comeback win for the hometown Kinser at 157 lbs., got the team and crowd back into the match at the halfway point.

Unfortunately for the Hoosiers, they would not bite into the four point deficit for the rest of the day.

The marquee match-up of the day was at 165 lbs., between Young and OSU’s Colt Sponseller.

Coming into the match, No. 7 Sponseller had taken care of all his opponents not in the top four at 165 lbs. Sunday was no different. Young failed to record a takedown and suffered a 5-1 defeat.

While the Hoosiers failed to come back, there were some positives to end the day.  
Powless recorded a 4-0 shutout to improve his bid to get back in the national rankings.

Hoosier heavyweight Nate Everhart continued his undefeated senior year with a 2-0 victory to close out the day.

Goldman knows that while it would have been nice to notch the upset win, a loss to a No. 4 team is certainly not a letdown.

“It was just a tough match,” Goldman said. “I thought they were patient and when opportunities presented themselves (OSU) went after those opportunities.”