Season two still undamaged

Damages

Legal dramas are everywhere on television, as are programs that toy with linear narrative storytelling. But no program does both better or actually combines the two quite like FX’s “Damages.”

Season two follows Ellen Parsons’ (Rose Byrne) return to the law firm of the cutthroat Patty Hewes (Glenn Close) under the guise of trying to find the people who killed her fiance – but she’s really working for the FBI to take Patty down. Meanwhile, a man from Patty’s past (William Hurt) pleads for Patty to take his case, leading to all sorts of corporate law espionage and dangerous situations. 

After a first season of powerhouse performances, season two somehow introduces even more compelling characters and top-notch work from the likes of Hurt, Timothy Olyphant, John Doman and Marcia Gay Harden, who join regular cast members Close, Byrne and Tate Donovan to create one of the best casts around.

However, the story and non-linear narrative are not as effective the second time around. Perhaps it is the knowledge that we’re not being told everything that makes certain reveals hold less weight.

Though season one was historically fantastic, really great “Damages” is still better than 97 percent of television.