Nonprofit collects cell phones for disadvantaged African countries

Giving Back to Africa Student Association has partnered with the nonprofit group Cell Phones for Cancer in an effort to recycle cell phones to raise funding for both organizations.

GBASA is comprised of a small group of both undergraduate and graduate students working in accordance with Giving Back to Africa, the nonprofit group located in Bloomington, to educate others on vital issues occurring in Africa.

“Our main mission is to raise awareness on the issues in the Congo,” said Katie Mauldin, GBASA President and graduate student. “It’s a very under-reported issue in the news, and we just want people to know that it’s there.”

As one of many creative fundraising events to aid those struggling in African countries, GBASA has formed a partnership with Cell Phones for Cancer, which raises funds for cancer charities, on the IU campus and in the surrounding Bloomington area.

Tara Nadeau of Cell Phones for Cancer explained that the organization chose to work with GBASA because of the groups’ shared views on philanthropy.

“We believe in what they are working for, so the organization was the perfect candidate for a partnership,” Nadeau said.

Through this fundraiser, people can recycle old, broken or used cell phones in any condition in one of the collection boxes locally. These boxes can be found in the Pourhouse Cafe, the School of Public and Environmental Affairs Undergraduate Office and Boxcar Books on East Sixth Street.

According to Mauldin, the group is still in the process of expanding the cell phone drive by looking for more places on campus to place drop boxes. Areas that are frequented most often, such as the library and residence halls, are being considered.

From each individual cell phone that is collected, half of the proceeds that come from its recycled materials is given to Cell Phones for Cancer, while the other half is returned to GBASA in their fight to support fraught African citizens. GBASA uses such funding to help sponsor students studying in Africa and to advertise awareness of their group’s efforts locally.

“It’s important for people of our age to join an organization where we can use the resources we have to help those in the world that can’t help themselves,” sophomore Abby Anders said.