Local networking Web site targets IU

A new type of social networking Web site, Bloomingmates.com, has been created specifically targeting and connecting IU students, alumni and others associated with the University.

This Web site was created in December by current and former IU students along with another local site, BtownMenus.com.

“BtownMenus.com has supported Bloomingmates.com since their inception, as we always jump at the opportunity to help local businesses grow,” Peter Margulies, co-founder of BtownMenus, said.

Bloomingmates has taken a different twist on social networking by making a Web site with local roots. Users of the site can find friends on campus by details such as graduating year, major, athletics, greek involvement, on-campus residences and social activities.

In addition to connecting students with one another, the site provides potential matches for people based on individual interests, along with other social benefits.

“If you need to find a study buddy or someone to work out with on campus, Bloomingmates can help you find that,” junior Jenna Ziegler said. “That’s something you don’t really see on Myspace or Facebook; it’s unique.”

Another unique feature of Bloomingmates is the opportunity for financial benefits. The site currently offers select discounts, including textbook rentals. It is in the process of adding more deals as well as promotions from local shops, restaurants and bars.

“We’re still working on other things, such as having coupons printed off the Web site or having the coupons texted straight to your phone,” R.J. Campbell, contributor to Bloomingmates, said. “Those take time and will be on the way soon.”

Campbell also added that Bloomingmates offers free advertising to student groups at IU, and groups looking for fundraising are encouraged to contact the site.

Although Bloomingmates is currently targeting those connected with the University, the site creators have plans to further expand.

“We plan on being in at least five other colleges by March and want to be nationwide within a year,” Campbell said.

For those looking for friends on campus, whether it is someone to drink with or someone to potentially date, Bloomingmates provides a place for this to happen, along with rewarding users with discounts to popular places.

“(We) wanted to create a social site for students while saving students money,” Campbell said.