Local experts publish environmental book

Multidisciplinary collaboration educates teachers and students

People are becoming more interested in the environment and how to protect it. But how much do we really know about the melting North Pole and the greenhouse gases with which we pollute?

Here in Bloomington, a group of experts collaborated on a book to teach students about the environment and show educators how to teach about the world we inhabit.
Earlier this month, the IU Press published “Teaching Environmental Literacy: Across Campus and Across the Curriculum,” a multidisciplinary volume with contributions from 27 local experts.

“Teaching Environmental Literacy” is not just a book about science. Many artists, historians, economists, lawyers, political scientists and teachers also wrote chapters for the book. The book’s multidisciplinary approach illustrates the scope of the environment.

One of the contributors, IU English professor, celebrated author and dedicated conservationist Scott Russell Sanders said he thinks it was important to incorporate different fields in the book.

“I have been writing about these issues for over 30 years,” Sanders said, “and obviously there are people who have contributed to this book who have expertise in areas that I am a rank amateur in. I think having these many different kinds of perspectives brought from different disciplines makes it a more valuable volume.”

The book was the brainchild of two of its editors: Heather L. Reynolds, an IU biology professor, and Eduardo Brondizio, an IU anthropology professor.

“It’s a great time to write such a book because levels of awareness about environment and sustainability are growing so rapidly,” Reynolds said in an e-mail interview.

“Our book is both a product of and a contribution to this wave of awareness.”

The authors said they hope this book will provide readings for many different classes and subjects, both at IU and other colleges.

William Brown, director of the IU Office of Sustainability, endorsed its message.

“I think one of the most important things that people can leave the University with is knowledge of environmental literacy,” Brown said.

Brown said he would like to see the book required in future classes so that students are more aware of the environment and how they are connected to it.
Reynolds agreed.

“We hope it contributes to real curricular change in terms of what is considered essential knowledge for all students,” Reynolds said.

For IU student Emily Schlatter, the benefits of this multi-subject approach are obvious.

“If students are learning about the environment in all classes like art and history rather than just science, then they are going to be more competent about caring for the environment for future generations,” Schlatter said.