IU splits Michigan meet; women victorious

IU-Missouri-Ohio State Swimming and Diving

The No. 12 IU women’s swimming and diving team opened 2010 “right” with a 130-113 win against No. 16 Michigan.

“I was really impressed with how the divers performed,” IU coach Ray Looze said.
Sophomore diver Gabby Agostino earned first-place finishes and season-best scores in both the one-meter and three-meter springboard competitions.

Senior Amy Korthauer finished the sweep with a first-place victory on the platform.

After suffering some injuries early in the season, the team was at full strength against Michigan and proved why it is one of the best in the Big Ten.   

Three-time Big Ten swimmer of the week this season, senior Kate Fesenko, remained perfect with another victory in the 200-backstroke.

The Hoosiers also saw strong performances from senior Amilee Smith, who won the 200-breaststroke after just picking up a fourth-place finish in the 1,650-freestyle.
Sophomore Nikki White had an excellent performance with a first-place finish in the 500-freestyle and a second place in the 200-free.

“We have been in really hard training right now,” White said. “I think everyone is looking forward to Big Ten (competition) and we have a good chance of winning Big Ten’s as well.”

Although the women’s team is still lacking in depth, Looze said he has a positive outlook for the season.  

“We really have to maximize everyone’s ability to the fullest,” he said. “If we do that, we have done everything we can to have the most successful season possible.”

Men's team falls

After suffering a loss to No. 7 Michigan, the No. 20 IU men’s swimming and diving team understands it still has a long way to go to become great.

“It was a humbling meet,” Looze said, when referring to the 158-82 loss by the Hoosiers.

IU started 2010 against what Looze said he thinks is the best Michigan team he has seen in his time with the Hoosiers.

Although the swimmers had a tough meet, the men’s divers excelled against Michigan.

The divers swept all three events against the Wolverines, as senior David Piercy finished first in the one-meter and three-meter springboard.

Meanwhile, freshman Casey Johnson took the platform title.

The men’s swim team, though, struggled. 

Its only victory this weekend came in the 100-freestyle from junior Ante Zoricic.
Looze said he knows this was a difficult meet for his swimmers.

“In races right now, our guys are getting behind right off the bat,” he said. “We are going to continue to work on those things in practice.”

The Hoosiers also had second-place finishes from junior Titus Knight in the 200-free, sophomore Tyler Shedron in the 200-fly senior Aaron Opell in the 200-breaststroke, and the 400-freestyle relay team.

“We were aware of what we were facing,” Looze said. “The guys are holding their heads high and we are going to keep hammering away.”