IU hopes for first Big Ten road win

Halfway through the season, the Hoosiers have seen almost everything. A victory at
Madison Square Garden. A loss to a nationally ranked opponent. And this past
Sunday, an overtime conference win.

But an away win? That’s yet to happen.

Discounting their victory in New York City, which counts as neutral in the final standings, IU (8-9, 2-3) hasn’t managed to win on the road. But Thursday’s game against Penn State (8-9, 0-5) could be its first opportunity.

“We won when we came back home,” freshman guard Jordan Hulls said. “We haven’t won on the road yet, so I guess that’s working for us.”

This is the first time in its conference season IU will play against a team with the same overall record. It is also the first time its Big Ten opponent has a worse conference record.

Despite the numbers advantage, IU coach Tom Crean warned his team not to be complacent against the Nittany Lions.

“I don’t think we have one guy on our club right now who has anything to be overconfident about,” Crean said.

Last year, IU lost to Penn State at home by 10, away by three and at the Big Ten tournament in Indianapolis by 15. But with Penn State struggling to get wins in the conference, the Hoosiers could seek some revenge.

Freshman forward Derek Elston said game tape showed the team hurt themselves more than their opponent.

“A lot of it’s not the other team,” Elston said. “A lot of it’s us.”

IU and Penn State have both played Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota – with the Hoosiers getting wins at home against the Wolverines and Gophers. The Nittany Lions lost at home to Michigan and on the road to Illinois and Minnesota. Despite its five losses, Penn State lost by nine or fewer points in four of those five games.  

“There’s no question right now they could have four wins in league play,” Crean said.
Since the Big Ten season started, IU has alternated every game at Assembly Hall with one on the road.

Crean said being on the road so often will only help his young team.

“I think any time you’ve been on the road,” Crean said, “you become that much more accustomed to what it’s like being away from home.”

Thursday’s game will be the first at home in two weeks for Penn State. Since Penn State is looking for its fifth consecutive win against the Hoosiers, IU won’t have an easy time getting its first conference road win.

“They know they can beat us,” Crean said. “We haven’t struck fear in anybody’s heart in the Big Ten.”