Joy of giving

Christmas season is upon us, with wreaths gracing campus buildings, luminous Santas populating front yards and bell-ringers in their familiar positions outside local stores.

The bell-ringer seems a fixture in U.S. society, signifying the need of many in the places where shoppers, we who are able to give, are likely to notice.

In this year’s tight economy, especially, it may be easy to convince ourselves that giving is less important, or at least something that can wait. But rather than being a burdensome humdrum, giving can be one of the most exciting ways we spend our money.

So much of what we have or make seems destined for a mundane or ritual purpose like paying for tuition, rent, groceries, insurance, phone and health bills, Internet service and other real and perceived necessities. When we give, on the other hand, we are completely independent. We can support any variety of underprivileged groups, from orphans overseas to the jobless in Bloomington.

During Christmas season, Salvation Army ringers are a constant reminder of the need for giving. The Salvation Army was founded in 1865 in London (under a different name), but the practice of bell ringing was initiated in 1891 in San Francisco when Salvation Army Captain Joseph McFee decided to fund a Christmas dinner for 1,000 of the city’s poorest people.

His inspiration came from his sailor days in Liverpool, England, where there was a large iron kettle for passers-by to toss coins for the poor. McFee expanded his efforts in the Bay Area, placing a similar pot at the Oakland Ferry Landing, and he soon had the money to feed the needy people at Christmas.

Today in the U.S., the Salvation Army assists more than 4.5 million people during Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the bell-ringing idea has spread to Korea, Japan, Chile and many European countries.

I am not what I would consider a particularly “giving” person. I rigorously calculate my expenses and set strict standards for how I allow myself to part with my money.
When shopping, I usually estimate my expenses as I add items to my cart. This keeps me from being shocked when I check out, and I have also caught a few minor pricing changes or mistakes.

This Monday, though, I had neglected to approximate the total until I stepped up to the cashier. A quick estimate told me that my bill would be about $44 or $45, so I was a little surprised when it was just $41.

When I checked the receipt, I found that I was charged only 25 cents per loaf of bread. I mentioned this to customer service, but they told me I need not make up the difference. (They then promptly went to check on the item in question.)

While I was packing my groceries, I was drawn back to a Salvation Army bell-ringer that I had ignored when I first entered the store to donate the extra money I had.
Rather than regretting a “loss” of money, giving was the highlight of my day. I was destined to give.