IU set to face Kentucky at the right time

Men's basketball vs. Kentucky

There was a shift in the way IU played Tuesday night.

The Hoosiers gained a lead and, this time, they maintained it. Even when Pittsburgh brought the game within six points in its late stages, IU showed a confidence in its 74-64 win that it lacked in previous contests.

It came just in time.

IU faces No. 4 Kentucky at noon Saturday in Assembly Hall – the first ranked team and the toughest competition it will have seen in the still young season. The Hoosiers proved Tuesday they can play with a veteran team, but the real step forward came in their approach to the game, IU coach Tom Crean said.

“If I didn’t talk about offense inside of those last nine minutes, we wouldn’t have skipped a beat,” Crean said after the game. “I mean, it was a defensive-minded team tonight. And last Tuesday, we were an offense-minded team. And I think that’s where the maturity has come.”

Pittsburgh shot only 31 percent against IU, with most of its possessions ending in an outside shot. The Panthers were 8-of-24 from the 3-point line, as the Hoosiers limited their options with a 2-3 zone defense.

Keeping Kentucky freshman guard John Wall and junior forward Patrick Patterson at bay will present another challenge. Wall is averaging 19 points and seven assists, while Patterson is putting up 16 points and grabbing nine rebounds per game.

Crean told his team that Kentucky is even better than its stat sheet suggests.

He was asked what to expect from Kentucky and responded, “I told my team they were No. 2. So they’re No. 4? Can we switch that, Andy?” he asked, referring to ESPN’s Andy Katz. “By Friday night, they might be No. 1 with the way we’ll build them up.”

IU could not have faced Kentucky at a better moment. Fresh off its largest win of the season, IU has never been more comfortable in its own skin.

IU sophomore guard Verdell Jones said Tuesday that players simply took the roles that best suited them.

That could be seen in freshman forward Bobby Capobianco. He scored seven points and grabbed four rebounds against Pittsburgh, relying on his wide frame to close off offensive lanes and box out his opposition.

Capobianco said Tuesday’s contest provided IU with an extra air of awareness.
“It’s huge,” he said. “It’s given us the confidence that we can beat a high-profile team; we can play in an environment kind of like that and Kentucky will be similar environment as playing in the Garden was. I definitely think it’s helped and we’ve matured a lot from it.”

Devan Dumes, a player who has also struggled this season, said IU “grew up.” He only hit one shot in IU’s last game, but his 3-pointer in the second half was one of the game’s biggest.

The difference in his play was illustrated by a fast-break scenario in which he found Jones for a layup. It showed improvement in his ball-handling skills, a part of his game Crean has emphasized.

Dumes said IU talked more in the huddles, and Crean called the conversation “player-led.”

“I felt like the communication was big,” he said. “We were on the big stage so a lot of people stepped up and played well. We all played together, we didn’t depend on one person – everybody chipped in.”

Crean said IU will have to play similarly cautious with the ball against Kentucky’s quick-strike attack. The undefeated Wildcats have several weapons, and Crean was impressed with their play thus far.

“They’re the real deal,” he said. “There’s as much talent on that floor as our team will see from anybody else.”