Holocaust ring not included

hangover

When "The Hangover" first hit theaters back in June, mainstream comedy had definitely reached a point of stagnation.

Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill were engaging in wackier antics with each passing day, Paul Rudd had at least a dozen new best friends, and Judd Apatow was cashing checks on a weekly basis that were big enough to pay for all the bar mitzvahs in his neighborhood.

Naturally, when it was announced that underground comedy legend Zach Galifianakis, "Daily Show" alum and current "Office" standout Ed Helms, and relative newcomer Bradley Cooper would be the leads in a new comedy that didn’t have any of the aforementioned funny people involved in the creative process, America’s eyes lit up.

And the movie delivered.

It was undoubtedly the best comedy of 2009, and the entire cast turned in hilarious performances. A few immortal lines may have even been born in the process. Seven months later and two editions of the DVD have been released. Unlike the movie itself, these packages are completely underwhelming.

The standard edition contains just the movie, and the deluxe edition has the standard bonus features – a gag reel and some featurettes, namely – and little else. Of possible interest is the extended edition that appears on the first disc, but the only extended scenes are extended by a few seconds, and no completely new scenes appear. The package isn’t embarrassingly bad, but it offers little in the way of innovation.