Get a move on

In their shoes

Megan Watson, second-year graduate student in Library Science and Musicology, is a reference/technical associate at the Herman B Wells Library. She recorded the number of steps she took during her work day. Her grand total was 2,456 steps. About 1,800 steps occurred from 9 a.m. to noon. Her tasks included walking up and down the stairs to refill the department’s paper and toner supplies.  From noon until 2 p.m., she was at the reference desk, which limited her movements to getting books from directly behind the desk and walking between reference desk computers.  From 2 to 3 p.m. she sat at her desk.

Kelley School of Business I-Core student Aaron Davis, a junior from Long Island, N.Y., walked 3,575 steps one day. Items on the day’s agenda included a walk to the bus stop from his Smallwood apartment, a walk back to Smallwood from the business school, and a walk to the Girl Talk concert at the now-repaired Dunn Meadow.

Three days later, on a crisp Sunday morning, IU cross country runner Andy Bayer completed more than 16,500 steps throughout his team’s 10-mile morning run. The remainder of his Sunday proved less intense. He traveled to Target in the early afternoon and St. Paul Catholic Center later in the day, bringing his day’s total up to 20,000 steps.