Delta Gamma gets 10K IUSF award

10k

Delta Gamma sorority was honored Thursday for exemplifying philanthropy on IU’s campus.

The event at the IU Art Museum marked the second Black and White Gala, a fundraising kick-off for the senior class, organized by the IUSF. 

It was the first time the foundation issued a $10,000 grant, which was given to Delta Gamma for their values and ethics lectures initiative. Delta Gamma hopes to bring in lecturers on an annual basis to cover these topics.

The money was raised by students, the grant was issued by students and the money will be used to serve students and the IU community.

It’s what IUF Executive Director for Strategic Planning and Communications Barbara Coffman calls “full-cycle” philanthropy.

The $10,000 was raised by last year’s graduating class through the IU Student Foundation’s Senior Challenge campaign. The purpose was to give back to the IU community.

This year all IU Bloomington seniors are being asked to donate $20.10 to fund next year’s grant, IUSF Director Dana Cummings said.

Students and student groups apply for the grant and the recipient is determined by IUSF.

A year-and-a-half ago Delta Gamma was given a $50,000 challenge grant by IU alumnus and former sorority member Amy Carlson-Wilson to support their lectureship in values and ethics.

The women at Delta Gamma were given five years to raise funds to match the grant and have so far raised $20,000. The sorority is driven to reach their goal in half the time, said Delta Gamma director of lectureship Aimee Frantzen and Vice President of Foundation, Elizabeth Billman.

“The IUSF really wanted to benefit students, and the lectureship would be open to any and all,” Cummings said.

Dean of Students Pete Goldsmith, IU Foundation Executive Director for Special Gifts and Annual Giving Programs Jonathan Purvis and former IU Foundation President Curt Simic spoke to audience members about philanthropy at the event before Billman and Frantzen were handed an enlarged, foam check of $10,000.

Simic, who spoke last, described the importance of being a Hoosier – engaged, hard-working and caring about the community you live in.

“Don’t major in minor things. Major in major things where the difference you make can be seen and cannot be seen,” Simic said.

IUSF Steering Committee President Kyle Mauch and vice president Caitlin Callahan helped manage Thursday’s gala.

“We want to engage donors to show them the effect they have,” Mauch said.

The effect of contributing IU alumni has a profound effect on the Bloomington campus.

“We want the graduating class to leave with that,” Mauch said.