Crash to crush

Crash to crush

It was a warm day in September when junior Carley Hall raced to class in front of Ballantine Hall. Her friend Amber called her name from across the street. Hall decided to take a minute to chat.
“I look at my phone to see if I have enough time, and I take one step off the curb, and I get hit by a bike,” Hall says. “It was pretty intense. I was told I was fine, but I remember lying on the pavement in front of Ballantine, destroyed.”
The damage was done.  Hall’s nose was split open and broken in three places. She had two broken ribs and a concussion. “His handle bars went into my ribs,” Hall says. “The guy who hit me broke his clavicle.”
That guy was junior Jeremy Black. He was on his way to the HPER for taekwondo class. “There were people walking,” Black says. “I was dodging them, and I went to the right of them, and I swerved near the sidewalk. I just nailed this really cute girl. I thought, ‘This is not cool.’”
With blood everywhere and his hair stuck in a cute girl’s nose (yeah, seriously), Black figured this wasn’t the smoothest of situations. So, he turned on the charm. “I knew I had to apologize somehow,” Black says. “I asked her if she wanted to get a bite to eat, so we went to Falafels.”
Hall and Black have been dating ever since. “It was maybe, fate, I guess,” Black says.