men's basketball

The Re-emergence of the Big Ten

IU-Grace Men's Basketball

Two Big Ten coaches made history last season, though it was not the kind of fame either set out for.

IU coach Tom Crean led his team to Hoosier records with only one win in the Big Ten and six victories total. Illinois coach Bruce Weber and his men’s basketball team played to a 38-33 loss to Penn State, where they shot 15-of-50 for a dismal 30 percent from the field.

Illinois scored 36 points in a previous loss to Minnesota and thought that contest would represent its lowest output of the 2008-09 season. Things changed.

The circumstances in which the two coached last season were seen as reflections on the Big Ten and had many questioning its talent level.

That shouldn’t be the case this year. The Big Ten brings back the NCAA championship runner-up, a Sweet 16 participant and four more NCAA tournament teams.

Weber said followers of the Big Ten were too critical last season and used his team’s Penn State loss as an example.

“I think it was exaggerated, to be honest, and gave a little bit of a tough light on our league,” Weber said.

Fueled by a staple of veteran players and enthusiastic coaches, the Big Ten has six teams ranked in the preseason AP poll. Each of those teams was in the NCAA tournament last season.

“I think it’s going to be tough for the obvious reasons when you look at a stat sheet, when you look at rosters, you look at what’s coming back,” Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan said. “People did not lose.”

Style of play
This season has been forecasted as one of the best for the Big Ten in years, partly because the conference’s style better suits a fast-paced game.

Last year’s high scorer in the Big Ten conference, Michigan State, averaged 72 points per game.

Every team within the top-five scorer’s lists in the Big East and Big 12 scored at least six points more than any Big Ten team, although the most efficient team in each conference shot more than 48 percent from the field.

The averages imply that the Big Ten was as efficient as other conferences but played a slow-down style, which led to gritty and, in some instances, downright unsightly games.

The Big Ten was characterized as unproductive based primarily on preference. But its makeup has changed, and so have perceptions.

This year’s preseason first team has all guards with the exception of Purdue forward Robbie Hummel. Michigan State point guard Kalin Lucas has been chosen to repeat as the conference’s Player of the Year. Every player is also in the junior class.

With so many slashers and 3-point shooters lacing up for the Big Ten season, the issue shouldn’t be whether the Big Ten plays an exciting game and scores points, but how quickly the numbers compile, Ohio State coach Thad Matta said.

“As you look down the rosters, and you’re looking at the guys that have the ability to make plays,” he said, “there’s a lot of them.”

Returning Players
Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said he likes being picked at the top because that’s exactly where he’d like to finish.

Only a year ago, his team nearly did that. After topping the Big Ten’s regular season standings, the Spartans fought their way to the national championship and a matchup with North Carolina.

Though they came up short in a landslide 89-72 Tar Heel win, the Spartans are this year’s favorite to defend their Big Ten regular-season championship.

They return the Big Ten Player of the Year in point guard Kalin Lucas and boast a lineup that is made up of nine upperclassmen.

While his team was picked to win the conference, Izzo said anyone could have easily taken the slot.

“I could see somebody being picked one or five and not be much different,” he said.
Izzo isn’t the only one whose team will bring back key players.

The decision of players to stay in school has resulted in name recognition the conference lacked when it was filled with freshmen.

Michigan brings back Manny Harris, Penn State returns Talor Battle and Ohio State has swingman Evan Turner.

The Boilermakers, Buckeyes and Gophers will both bring back all five starters. Painter said the pack of returning players has created equality in the Big Ten.

“When we have some guys that had opportunities ... to go in the draft that stayed, I think that really strengthened our league,” he said. “And I think we’ll have the opportunity to grow and be one of the premier leagues, if not the premier league.”

Coaching
Bob Knight, Gene Keady and Clem Haskins were once on the sidelines for Big Ten games, sporting sweaters and throwing chairs.

They have since been replaced by Izzo and Weber as the conference’s tenured coaches, but a host of new faces have changed the tone of the Big Ten.

The addition of names like Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, Michigan coach John Beilein and Painter have brought new expectations to the Big Ten.

The coaches have weaved their way to contention in the conference and earned NCAA tournament berths alongside Ryan and Matta.

But just as there are coaches vying for a realistic shot at the Big Ten, there are others trying to stay afloat in a tough year.

Crean, Penn State coach Ed DeChellis and Iowa coach Todd Lickliter are all in rebuilding stages. Likewise, Northwestern coach Bill Carmody will try to take Northwestern to its first ever NCAA tournament.

The Big Ten might get seven teams in the NCAA tournament this season, and Crean knows the competition will not be any easier in his second year.

“There’s no question that it’s going to be hard to move,” Crean said. “But that’s not our focus right now. Our focus is how much better we can improve. ... Let’s see where that takes us.”