School of Journalism reflects on Wood’s life

Beth Wood

On Sunday, the quiet hallways of Ernie Pyle Hall felt as if the School of Journalism itself was mourning the death of Beth Wood.

Wood died Saturday afternoon, on her birthday, from complications of treatment for lung cancer.

Wood, 58, was a public relations senior lecturer in the IU School of Journalism. She “single-handedly” developed public relations courses in the IU School of Journalism, said Craig Wood, a friend and colleague of Beth Wood and a visiting professor in the school of journalism.

Because of Beth Wood’s efforts, IU became one of 20 schools in the nation certified by the Public Relations Society of America. IU has since formed the world’s seventh-largest chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America.

She taught her final class last Monday and was brought into the hospital the next day to receive treatment for pneumonia.

“We were all confident she would come through it okay, like she did before,” said IU School of Journalism Dean Brad Hamm.

Wood received chemotherapy treatment for lung cancer in 2007 and came back strong.

“I wasn’t prepared,” Craig Wood said. He said he felt her death came as a shock, as did others.

Hamm was driving to Indianapolis on Saturday when he got the call from Beth Wood’s husband and former School of Journalism professor Dan Drew. Hamm turned the car around, back to Bloomington.

The faculty was notified of Beth Wood’s death Saturday.

On Sunday, Hamm and others shifted around the administrative offices of Ernie Pyle Hall, trying to get a news release together.

“She had such a tremendous drive and energy – she took teaching very seriously,” Hamm said. “She was a positive person even with the cancer.”

Beth Wood was also known for keeping in touch with many students after graduation and for her involvement in nonprofit organizations.

Craig Wood said he attributes his involvement with the IU School of Journalism directly to Beth Wood.

“She had a firecracker personality,” Craig Wood said. “She was kind and generous, but at the same time she took no prisoners. She didn’t put up with any nonsense.”

Beth Wood’s passing will have a profound effect on the IU School of Journalism.

“It’s a tremendous loss,” Hamm said.