sports volleyball

Hoosiers hope for win on Senior Night

Senior volleyball player Kelsey Hall and graduate student Whitney Thomas said they will look back on their careers with plenty of fond memories.

Their teammates hope to provide them with one more: a win in their Senior Night match against Ohio State at 7 p.m. Friday.

The Hoosiers (15-15, 4-12) will honor Hall, Thomas and senior student trainer Meghan Chambers before their rematch with the Buckeyes (21-8, 9-7).

IU will also play No. 1 Penn State (28-0, 16-0) at 7 p.m. Saturday.

IU coach Sherry Dunbar said she felt privileged to coach both Hall and Thomas.
“Kelsey is a true competitor,” Dunbar said. “Every time she steps on the court, you can see that love that she has for this sport.

“And then Whitney, we’ve talked about her a ton. But we’re just happy that we could have her for the short time that we did, to have such a quality person in our program. Both of them have done a great job for us.”

Hall, who transferred to IU from UCLA following her freshman year in 2005, said she has enjoyed the ride.

“Working toward the same goal everyone has and just competing with the best teams there are in the country – I wouldn’t change any of that for the world,” Hall said.

She also said she would like to get a win on Senior Night.

“It would mean a lot, especially because Ohio State’s a pretty good team,” she said. “I think it would be extra special.”

Thomas will be honored in the second Senior Night of her collegiate career. She played on the IU women’s basketball team for four years.

She said the decision to take advantage of the NCAA rule allowing an extra year of eligibility to play a different sport was the right one.

“I would do it again if I could,” Thomas said. “I’m really thankful that I had the opportunity.”