sports volleyball

2nd IU-Purdue match expected to reach a 5th set

IU volleyball vs. Ohio State

The IU volleyball team can expect a grudge when it faces Purdue at University Gym for the second meeting between the teams at 7 p.m. today.

The Boilermakers (11-12, 3-9) will look to avenge their home loss to the Hoosiers (14-12, 3-9), who hope to claim the Monon Spike, the volleyball equivalent to the football rivalry’s Old Oaken Bucket.

Freshman right-side hitter Kelci Marschall, who earned seven kills and three block assists in IU’s Sept. 30 victory in West Lafayette, said she is sure Purdue will be out for revenge.

“They’re a good team, and it’s always a good match when we play Purdue, which the freshmen have learned very quickly,” Marschall said.

Though Purdue is under .500 and not living up to its reputation as a ranked team in
preseason, the Hoosiers still expect the Boilermakers to bring everything they have to Bloomington.

“We’re just really hoping that the kids come and they’re ready to battle, especially, and defend our home court against Purdue because it’s our biggest rival,” IU coach Sherry Dunbar said.

Dunbar said her team needs to be ready for what usually happens when playing Purdue – a match that comes down to the wire.

“It’s going to be a battle,” she said. “As everybody knows, every time we play Purdue it goes four or five (sets).”

Such has been the case in each of Dunbar’s three seasons at IU. All five matches she has coached against the Boilermakers have lasted at least four sets, and three have been five-set affairs.

The thrilling first meeting between the schools was one of them.

After winning the first two sets, the Hoosiers dropped the third and fourth frames to Purdue before regaining form for a 15-13 victory in the decisive contest.

However, that win is the Hoosiers’ lone five-set conference victory this season.
IU has lost four straight matches of five sets in Big Ten play, falling twice to Northwestern and No. 5 Illinois. They also had a loss to Wisconsin in the fifth set.

“Fifth games, as we’ve talked about all year, are kind of a crapshoot,” Dunbar said. “We’ve got to put ourselves in better position.”

The Boilermakers have not had success in five-set matches, either. They are 0-5 in the contests in conference play.

Dunbar said the intensity and desire needs to be present in her players from the start regardless of how long a match lasts.

“That’s what the Big Ten’s all about,” she said. “Take care of opportunities when
opportunities are granted to us.”

Like the previous contest between IU and Purdue, the match will be broadcast on Big Ten Network.

Marschall, who will announce the Hoosiers’ starting lineup for the broadcast, said playing the Boilermakers never loses its excitement.

“That rivalry always has a special place and always makes everyone a little bit more fired up,” she said. “So I definitely think we’ll have that edge tomorrow.”