sports cross-country

Top teams meet in Pennsylvania

After thrashing the competition the past few meets, the IU cross country teams are met with their biggest test in their young season Friday in Bethlehem. Pa. The Paul Short Invitational brings in several ranked opponents for the Hoosiers.

“You know, it’s October, and it’s time for us to start testing ourselves even more.” IU coach Ron Helmer said. “It’s at Lehigh University, which is a great, great course and good test for us on a course we sort of know, so the results will be meaningful.”

The men will be in full force after sitting a few starters the first few meets. They will need to be as they take on 42 schools, including ranked teams such as No. 7 Iona, No. 19 North Carolina State and No. 30 Princeton.

“We didn’t do a huge, intense workout Tuesday like usual,” junior Cole Hardacre said. “We wanted to make sure we could be recovered for this race. It’s a pretty big meet, but with the team we have assembled here, I think we should think about the win and give it our best, then take the positives.”

The women will also be racing their top starters together for the first time and will be facing 41 teams in the meet. The biggest competition facing the Hoosiers will be two top-5 teams: No. 4 West Virginia and No. 5 Villanova.

“We’re ready to go.” senior Wendi Robinson said. “There’s some good teams that are going to be here, hopefully it sets us up for good races as we progress into the season.”