sports women's soccer

Team looks for 2nd chance to defend ranking

Fresh off reclaiming a spot back in the national rankings, the No. 22 Hoosiers (9-3-1, 1-2-1) are set to travel to Michigan to face the Wolverines (5-6-2, 0-1-2) on Sunday.

The last meeting between the two teams resulted in an IU 1-0 victory in Bloomington in 2008. The Hoosiers got a goal from then-junior forward Kristin Arnold to earn the win. Then-freshman goalkeeper Lindsay Campbell also recorded six saves in the game.

The Hoosiers are coming off of a two-week break. They haven’t played since Oct. 4, when they tied Illinois 1-1 at home. Michigan faced Michigan State in their last game and only recorded five shots against them.

Conversely, IU had 25 against the same Spartans team on Oct. 2. Both the Wolverines and Spartans drop back on defense and sometimes have eight or nine players in the box.

“Michigan obviously concentrates on defensive first and then counter-attacking,” IU women’s soccer coach Mick Lyon said. “We want to make sure we can stay spread until we take the shots and keep it wide.”

Wolverine goalkeeper Haley Kopmeyer was named Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Week on the back of a seven-save shutout of Michigan State this past Sunday.

“We’ll definitely have to be patient,” sophomore defender Kerri Krawczak said. “I think it’s going to be a key to find our outside players.”