sports men's soccer

Team blanks against top-ranked opposition

soccer

With nearly half of the regular season scheduled against ranked opponents, No. 9 IU picked up its first win against a ranked team Tuesday when they shut out No. 13 Kentucky, 3-0.

IU is 4-0 against unranked schools this season but has struggled against the nation’s top-25 teams, posting a 1-2-1 record despite a 4-3 goal advantage in scoring against those teams.

“The games we’ve played have all been close against ranked teams,” freshman goalkeeper Luis Soffner said. “We’re getting shots. We’re getting good looks at the goal. We just got to finish our chances, and hopefully our defense will help our offense get up toward the opponent’s goal and keep getting them the good looks and the good opportunities.”

Despite the outcomes, IU’s defensive production has kept ranked opponents in check.

However, when facing top-25 teams, the Hoosier offense has produced only half of what it has done in games against unranked opponents.

Friday marks the fifth game against a ranked team this year, as IU travels to No. 11 UC-Santa Barbara, their fifth ranked opponent of the season thus far and another big non-conference threat.

“For me, I love the pressure, I love the big crowds and playing big teams,” Soffner said. “I’m excited for the UCSB game because I know there are going to be a lot of fans, and I know they’re a really good team.”

See the IDS for a full pullout covering the scoring issues against ranked opponents.