Pacers, Spurs play spirited basketball in Assembly Hall

Pacers

Pacers center Roy Hibbert clapped his hands and cheered when a simple out-of-bounds call went the Pacers’ way.

Forward Danny Granger raised his hands in confusion after he’d missed another open jump shot on Friday night as he went 10-for-29 shooting.

Whether through signs of frustration or contentment, the Pacers showed emotion that isn’t usually associated with an NBA preseason game. At Assembly Hall, a college arena where basketball is supposed to be at its purest, the Pacers and Spurs played as if it were already the postseason in Indiana’s 114-112 win.

The Pacers, a middling team, had players with many reasons for doing so. A rookie attempted to find his place in the NBA, a journeyman tried to find a home and a big man tried to find out where he stood against one of the league’s best power forwards.

A.J. Price, Dahntay Jones and Hibbert each played as if their last preseason game meant something, and they all said it did.

A.J. Price

Before Price was selected by the Pacers in the second round, he was a blue-chip recruit being courted by every college in America.

He chose Connecticut, but wouldn’t touch the floor for two seasons. Price had a life-threatening ailment as a freshman in the 2004-05 season that caused bleeding in his brain.

After going through a year of radiosurgery treatment, Price recovered and received medical clearance. Just when it seemed like he was going to have a comeback, he was cited for a violation of school conduct and sat out another season.

He spent his sophomore and junior seasons as the Huskies’ starting point guard with a new appreciation for basketball and led Connecticut deep into the 2008-09 NCAA tournament.

Price found himself last season, but he was in search of proper footing within the NBA against All-Star point guard Tony Parker in his final test before the regular season.

“Every game means something for me,” he said. “Especially for me, being a rookie. You’re going to play a good guard every night, so coming out and seeing how they play the game definitely benefits me.”  

Dahntay Jones
Only a year ago, Jones was playing with the Denver Nuggets in the Western Conference Finals against Kobe Bryant and the NBA’s defending champion Lakers.

He checked Bryant, who many believe to be the world’s best player – and challenged him. As has become customary for Jones, though, he was with a different team when training camp opened in late September.

The Pacers will be Jones’ third team in three years, yet he seemed comfortable on the court with his new teammates.

“This is a good situation,” Jones said. “I’m enjoying it. I complement these guys well, and we’re a work in progress right now.”

He had 13 points and 6 assists Friday, and led the team along with Granger, who scored 29 points and had 14 rebounds.

Roy Hibbert
Hibbert stood with the ball in his hands and Spurs power forward Tim Duncan on his back.

He made a move for the baseline, swung around the rim and slammed the ball through the hoop with his right hand as Duncan stood beneath him.

The second-year center did as many eager players do when faced with a Hall of Fame talent. He decided to go at him without hesitation.

“Ever since I was a kid, I remember watching him,” he said. “I love his post game, and he’s the ‘Big Fundamental.’ I really appreciated the fact that I was able to go against somebody who’s a seasoned veteran.”

The stoic Hibbert drew the most excitement from the crowd in a third-quarter stretch where he and Duncan scored on back-to-back possessions.

He finished the game with 16 points in only 18 minutes of play, which was good for the third highest finish on the team.

In Hibbert’s first season, the Pacers went 36-46 and missed the playoffs by only three games. With such a small margin deciding their postseason fate, the big man said any edge can make a difference.

“I take this absolutely serious,” Hibbert said. “I’m trying to take some momentum from this and go into the regular season and try to work on my game as best as possible.”