Knight won’t accept $75K check from donors

MBR

Bob Knight's attorney has notified IU that the former coach will not accept the school's $75,000 offer to settle a lawsuit.

School spokesman Larry MacIntyre confirmed Tuesday the check was sent to Knight's attorney last week, and the school has received notification the money, donated by alumni, will be returned.

“Indiana University has refused for nine years to take care of their obligation in this matter,” Knight said in a statement. “I did not know until (Monday) that this check was sent to my attorney. Upon finding out about it, I immediately gave him instructions to send the check back.

“In all the years I coached at Indiana and elsewhere, I never accepted a thing from alumni and I don’t intend to start now,” Knight said in a statement given to ESPN. “This issue is with the university, not with the alumni.”

Knight sued Indiana, claiming the school did not properly defend him in a lawsuit from Ron Felling, a former assistant coach. Knight settled that case in 2002 by paying Felling $25,000 and admitting that in 1999 he shoved Felling in anger after overhearing him criticize Knight's coaching and behavior.

Indiana fired Knight in 2000. He is to be inducted into Indiana's Hall of Fame next week.

There is still no word on whether he will attend next weekend’s IU Intercollegiate Athletics Hall of Fame induction.

See the Hoosier Hype blog for more on this story and other men's basketball stories.