Kinsey to study barriers to proper condom use

Stephanie Sanders and Erick Janssen, researchers at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction, received a $423,500 grant from the National Institutes of Health to study barriers to correct condom use.

“Consistent and correct use of male condoms can be a highly effective method of preventing the transmission of HIV and many STIs, but this method relies on men’s willingness and ability to use condoms,” according to a Kinsey press release.

The study, which targets 18- to 24-year-old males, has two parts. First, subjects fill out a questionnaire about their condom use and any partner’s reactions.

“The point of this study is to look at some of the problems that guys have when using condoms and find out why exactly does that happen and what can we do to overcome it,” Sanders said.

Then, Janssen and Sanders review the questionnaires to see who is eligible for the lab study, in which researchers will measure men’s genital arousal in response to different stimuli.

Researchers will ask men about the types of condoms they’ve been using, including whether or not the condoms have “special features” such as various textures, Sanders said.

“The way a condom fits and feels can be very important to the experiences people have when they’re trying to use condoms,” Sanders said.

Kathryn Brown, the health educator at the IU Health Center, teaches classes about contraception and other sexual issues.

She said that she has heard common problems people have with condoms.
People often don’t use enough lubrication or they use the wrong kind, she said, adding that she has also heard of people improperly trying to put a condom on, then flipping it over and continuing to use it.

She said people should use a new one because the original could already be contaminated.

The study’s funding was related to AIDS, but it’s also beneficial to the prevention of other STIs and pregnancy, Sanders said.

Brown said people shouldn’t get frustrated if they don’t find the right condom immediately.

“Don’t give up because it’s really the best protection we have,” Brown said, adding that there are many kinds of condoms available.

Sanders agreed, saying condoms need to be easily incorporated into people’s sex lives.

“Why don’t you shop around for other condoms?” Sanders asked. “There are tons of them out there, and maybe there’s another one out there that works for you.”

Sanders said it’s important to think about how condoms affect people’s arousal when considering barriers to proper use.

“If we can show that we’re trying to deal with these issues and give guys more confidence that they’ll be able to use them successfully, then I think that’s another way of promoting condom use,” Sanders said.