IU scientists build new camera to detect eye damage

IU faculty members helped build a new digital camera. This one, however, is not about capturing nights out with friends.

Professor of Optometry and director of IU’s Borish Center for Ophthalmic Research Ann Elsner is building a digital camera that uses laser scanning to screen for eye damage caused by diabetes and other sources of vision loss.

Elsner is working with IU senior scientist Benno Petrig and optical engineer Matt
Muller, Purdue University’s Henry Zhang, an assistant professor of mechanical engineering, and researchers at the University of California-Berkeley to build and test the camera.

Recently, Elsner received almost $380,000 from the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering. Her company, Aeon Imaging, LLC, was awarded an additional $247,389 from the National Eye Institute’s Small Business Innovation Research program.

Her camera uses near infrared light and laser scanning to create a high-contrast picture of the eye.

By minimizing the amount of excess parts, Elsner said the device has a “very energy-efficient design” that’s easy to use, allowing companies to save money that would otherwise be spent on training and educating camera operators.

Elsner didn’t say how much her camera will cost once it’s complete, but as more cameras are produced, the cost will inevitably decrease, she said.
In about 10 months, Elsner will apply for more NIH funding.

The first grant was approved based on the specifics of what, when and how Elsner planned to build the camera, she said.

After Elsner and her team have fully completed assembling the camera, they will test it at IU on a minimum of 20 people. If everything works correctly, they will teach people at Berkeley how to use the device.

It will be tested at the community-funded health centers in the area, Elsner said.
People “with diabetes or suspicions of eye problems” go to these clinics where they are referred to specialists if necessary, she said.

In order to receive the additional funding, Elsner and her team must provide data from 10 types of diabetes problems. They must show different examples of vision issues and prove that their new camera can find all the damage that can be found with other cameras.

In order to get enough information, Elsner estimates they will have to perform at least 150 eye exams.

Muller said they are most focused on low-cost eye care and are trying to “match or exceed existing cameras but at a much lower price.”

It’s not about improving the cameras that are currently in use, Muller said. He said they focus on early detection. With the new camera, operators would decide if a person needs a full eye exam. More complicated, expensive technology will be used for a full, in-depth eye exam when the patient sees an optometrist, Muller said.

Elsner said with her new device, she’s trying to get people who need a full eye exam to get one.

“It’d be great if everyone got the full exam, but let’s face it – they’re not going to,” Elsner said. “The detection of diabetic retinopathy or any kind of eye disease related to diabetes is a growing problem.”    

Diabetes is the leading cause of vision loss in working adults.

Any amount of vision loss suddenly makes people’s jobs harder, Elsner said.

“The absolute main thing is to try to get the diabetes under control,” she said.