sports volleyball

Hoosiers drop two decisions in Illiniois

The IU volleyball team suffered two losses on its road trip through Illinois this weekend.

The Hoosiers (13-7, 2-4) fell to Illinois in straight sets Saturday and then dropped a five-setter to Northwestern (11-7, 2-4) Sunday.

“We’ve just got to do better,” IU coach Sherry Dunbar said. “Any given night a team can win, and we’ve got to be ready.”

The Hoosiers dropped the first contest of their two-match trip, falling to Illinois in straight sets.

The Illini jumped out to an early lead in the first set, capitalizing on junior outside hitter Laura DeBruler’s four kills and winning 25-20. DeBruler recorded 12 total kills on the night at a .407 clip and also posted 14 digs and two block assists.

IU battled early in the second frame and even led 8-5 as freshman setter Whitney Granado recorded a service ace. However, Illinois opened enough of a cushion late to win the set 25-21.

The teams went back-and-forth in the third, and neither trailed by more than three. An  ace gave Illinois match point at 24-21, and they held on to seal the victory.

The Hoosiers followed the loss at Illinois with a five-set loss at Northwestern.

After Northwestern won the first five points of the initial set, IU surged to even the match at 7-7 and didn’t look back, cruising to a 25-17 win.

The second frame remained close with IU in control until Northwestern junior middle blocker Sabel Moffett accounted for four straight points to give the Wildcats a 14-13 lead. The Wildcats held onto that lead and won 25-20.

Northwestern took late control of what had been a tight third set by winning three straight points from 16-16. The Wildcats held on and claimed the set 25-20.

The Hoosiers responded in the fourth, winning eight straight points after trailing 10-13 with Benson posting three service aces in four points. That run propelled IU to a 25-16 victory and forced a decisive fifth frame.

The two teams went back and forth on scoring runs in the final set. Kills by Haverly and junior outside hitter Taylor Wittmer, as well as an ace by freshman defensive specialist Laura Matula, tied the set at 13-13, but Northwestern won two straight to close the match.

IU’s next match will kick off the annual Hoosier Hysteria. The Hoosiers battle Iowa (10-8, 2-4) at 5:30 p.m. Friday in Assembly Hall.

“We’ve got to work harder in practice,” Dunbar said.