Greeks bring back lawn decorations

Lawn decorating

This year the greek community is bringing back the old, forgotten tradition of lawn decorating.

The tradition began in the 1970s or 1980s and was reinstated last year, said Kim Kushner, graduate assistant for the Student Alumni Association.

“It had always been a big tradition in the past,” said Kristin Burt, co-director of the Greek Homecoming Committee. “Houses used to get so into it. I don’t know how they got away from it.”

Each pair of houses is given the same supplies, Kushner said, including a blank banner, pinwheels and large cornhole boards that will also be used in the cornhole tournament on Wednesday.

The greek community has always been involved in Homecoming Week, but with different degrees of involvement, Kushner said.

“The greek values of philanthropy, spirit and tradition go along with the values of Homecoming,” she said. “We’re trying to expand Homecoming and getting the community more involved.”

The greek houses will pair-up and compete for points throughout the week, Kushner said. Points will be awarded to each pair for each homecoming event they plan or attend. The top three pairs with the highest points will be recognized on the field when IU plays Illinois, she said.

Katie Wickham, vice president of communications for the Panhellenic Association, said different chapters have different events to celebrate homecoming as opposed to planning multiple events as an entire community.

The greek community is trying to get more involved in activities with other campus groups and project a more positive image around campus, Burt said.

“Homecoming is something we look at as an entire school event,” Wickham said. “We try to participate as IU students instead of as greek students.”