Crean pumps up supporters for upcoming season

Before IU coach Tom Crean spoke, he went to look out the window. 

“It’s a great view, isn’t it?” he said, looking at the football field in Memorial Stadium.
Crean stood at the window for a few seconds, before heading back to the sea of crimson fans.

He was at the North End Zone facility Thursday for a tip-off pep rally. Six hundred and fifty Varsity Club donors, season ticket holders and other fans came to hear him speak and meet the 2009-2010 men’s basketball team. It was the fourth-annual pep rally, but the first in the North End Zone. 

IU play-by-play announcer Don Fischer, team doctor Larry Rink and IU Athletics Director Fred Glass spoke before Crean.

Glass introduced a video that showed the future basketball development center that will open this summer. 

“It’s all up to you guys, but we’ll support you,” Rink said.

The shadow of former IU men’s basketball coach Bob Knight sifted during the speeches.

Rink told a story of becoming team doctor during Knight’s reign. Before the pep rally, Glass answered questions about Knight’s decision not to attend the Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Glass said Knight sent him a letter declining the invitation, saying that he didn’t want to create a media circus that would distract from the other inductees.

IU Athletics invited Varsity Club donors and season ticket holders to the event, but there was no admission fee or ticket required.

The event was just one of several pre-season activities to drum up ticket sales and team interest.

Associate Athletics Director Scott Dolson said student season ticket sales are close to being sold out and are up 56 percent compared to this time last year. Main and club level regular season seats are sold out.

But players encouraged those who hadn’t bought tickets to get them soon. 

“Once this train starts going, there’s no stopping us,” sophomore guard Verdell Jones said.   
Junior guard Jeremiah Rivers injured himself in practice on Wednesday and did not attend the pep rally.
“It wasn’t Tijan Jobe, but it was Bawa Muniriu,” Crean said, saying the freshman had injured his teammate.
Rivers did not attend Big Ten Media Day, either.
Crean told the crowd to head to Bill Armstrong Stadium to watch the No. 23 women’s soccer team take on No. 25 Penn State. IU football coach Bill Lynch and women’s basketball coach Felisha Legette-Jack also attended, emphasizing the IU Athletics slogan Crean mentioned, “24 sports, 1 team.”
He also took time to thank his own players. Crean praised freshman forward Derek Elston and sophomores Tom Pritchard and Matt Roth for not decommitting after the Sampson scandal.  
“They didn’t have to stay,” Crean said, “but they did.”  
After Crean’s speech, a montage set to “Use Somebody” by Kings of Leon played.
The video featured scenes from scrimmages, workouts and last year’s games. Players then signed autographs and talked to fans. Patrons could purchase posters for $3 and $5, sign up for season tickets and pick up team schedules.  
Crean said the atmosphere in the North End Zone was one of hope for the future.
“We got to get Indiana back,” he said. “This is a national program.”