Crean adds antics to Hoosier Hysteria

Hoosier Hysteria

IU coach Tom Crean decided to have some fun.

With 13,321 fans in attendance Friday, Crean broke away from the drill-centered Hoosier Hysteria of last year.

He opened the floor to Straight No Chaser for a scrimmage, welcomed IU alumnus Jared Fogle of Subway commercial fame to the floor for a sandwich toss and invited fans down to coach during the red-and-white game.

Crean livened an already light-hearted atmosphere by taking the microphone to drop one-liners, saying, “We lost 25 games last season, we’ll take any win we can get,” just before his team played against Straight No Chaser. 

The lightened mood was the sign of a program becoming more comfortable with itself, while also referencing its history through appearances by former IU basketball player Brian Evans and the famous whistling “Mop Lady,” from the classic Farm Bureau Insurance commercial.

With more certainty than there was in the transitional season of 2008-09, players gushed and joked during the event.

“I didn’t coach,” Crean said. “We snuck in the Straight No Chaser deal after talking to them last night. We got Jared to do this after he got back from South America last night. We were just trying to have fun with it.”

The team performed in 3-point and dunk contests prior to the yearly scrimmage, which gave followers their first glimpse at the team that will play in Assembly Hall.

One of the players that fans wanted to get a look at was freshman guard Maurice Creek. The former four-star recruit participated in the dunk contest and played an aggressive style of basketball in the scrimmage.

“This is something I’ve been waiting for all my life,” he said. “Getting here and playing in front of the crowd on this floor really meant something.”

The IU men’s basketball team began its portion of Hoosier Hysteria with a spirited layup line, where fancy dunks became the norm. Freshman forward Christian Watford and seniors Tijan Jobe and Steven Gambles kept fans gasping in the opening moments with creative slams.

The IU 3-point contest had a long list of capable shooters, but sophomore guard Matt Roth was the clear favorite. The all-time 3-point leader in the state of Illinois squared off with freshman guard Jordan Hulls, one of Indiana’s most prolific shooters.

Although Roth won the first contest of the finals, Crean gave Hulls another shot during his first Hoosier Hysteria. The Bloomington South guard performed for his hometown, easily taking the second shoot-off. Crean decided to call it a tie.

While not presented in a practical form, Roth said the competition showcased a group that will benefit from a fast-paced offense.

“I think it’s going to do great things, especially for people who can shoot the ball,” he said. “The more we keep running, the more the break develops – it’s going to open up a lot of shots.”

The smooth-sailing dunks of Watford were pitted against the smaller but still athletic Gambles in a later competition.

Both were resourceful.

Watford had a teammate bounce the ball off the side of the backboard before he landed a two-handed dunk. Gambles proved to be the most innovative when he had a team manager sit in a chair and toss the ball up as he hurdled him for a gliding slam.
He won the dunk contest through text-message votes sent to IU Athletics.

Gambles also was ahead on the scorecards of a list of judges that included IU coaches Felisha Legette-Jack and Tracy Smith. Also on the bill were Evans; current Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Eric Arnett; writer of the movie “Hoosiers,” Angelo Pizzo; and the IU Gorilla.

The red-and-white scrimmage was the last attraction in IU’s rendition of Midnight Madness.

Players didn’t take the game lightly.

They shot well from outside the arc, but also fought for rebounds and loose balls. More talent was on the floor, yet IU still seemed to have the scrappy play that kept them close in many contests.

They would play more physical basketball the next day.

Crean said Hoosier Hysteria was a great lead-in for IU’s weekend practice and the start of a new season.

“We’ll work Saturday to get going,” he said. “This was a great way to kick it off.”