Buzzkills charity show raises funds for music program

As a musician himself, John Weston thought it was only natural to help teach others to play.

That’s why he decided to become a teacher at the CODA Academy, an after-school music program for kids in a high-poverty area in Bloomington, and at 10 p.m. Friday he and other members of the band The Buzzkills will be performing a charity show to help raise money for the program.

The event at Video Saloon is free to the public, but Weston and the band are asking that guests contribute with a $3 suggested cover. The money donated at the door will then be delivered to the Academy in the form of a personal check from the band members.

No money from alcohol sales will go toward the donation, he said.

“It’s an after-school program for kids that basically can’t afford music,” Weston said. “With the economy they’ve lost a lot of donations and have had grants that have been cut, so we’re trying to help out.”

Weston said a recent lack of funding has caused the children not to be able to afford cases for their instruments. Some have even had to put their instruments in trash bags to carry them.

“I’m a guitar teacher, and I’m telling you it stinks,” he said. “We can’t even afford cases for their guitars – that’s how bad it is.”

Until recently, the saloon rarely played host to bands, and Weston said it was his understanding that, with other bars changing their formats and businesses shutting down, they wanted to expand. He said this was great for the show because the bar is in a good location where lots of people go, especially on Halloween weekend.

Kristina Armour, who is co-owner of Video Saloon along with Mike Black, confirmed that claim.

“Since the first of this year, we’ve had the downstairs room open,” she said. “And we’ve had bands on a fairly regular basis since then.”

The Buzzkills, who have been a Bloomington staple for around three years now, will play original songs inspired by classic rock and alternative as well as popular covers.

According to their Web site, The Buzzkills “use an eclectic blend of old school rock and roll, progressive and modern alternative to create a sound one in their own.”

Weston said that anything helps, but they’re hoping to raise at least a couple hundred dollars for the program.

“I know it’s Halloween and it’ll be packed,” he said. “If we could get people to throw a couple bucks in when they walk in the door, that would really help out.”