A different kind of ‘Hysteria’

Hoosier Hysteria

Year two of Hoosier Hysteria during IU coach Tom Crean’s reign had several differences from his first.

The inaugural introduction to IU men’s basketball saw more antics, including an appearance from Straight No Chaser, the IU Gorilla and every fan holding a big head who was invited to coach the red and white scrimmage.

Partway through the game between the crooners and basketball players double their sizes, the singers needed a sub. And Jared Fogle was there with a sandwich he later threw into the crowd.

“I didn’t coach,” Crean said. “We snuck in the Straight No Chaser deal after talking to them last night. We got Jared to do this after he got back from South America last night. We were just trying to have fun with it.”

Crean changed many things about the players’ participation to complement the cameos. Instead of last year’s layup contest, senior Steven Gambles pulled out a dunk contest win with a two-handed dunk over an awaiting team manager who lobbed him the ball.

There was also a fun baiting of women’s basketball sophomore Lindsay Enterline, as Crean asked her if she’d choose her boyfriend sophomore Matt Roth or her teammate as the prospective winner.

She of course picked her teammate and Roth won the contest with ease.

“We were in his head for about the first 10 balls,” Crean said. “No question about that.”

Roth had already worked out comical endings to the 3-point contest.

“There was a lot of joking in the locker room – a lot of long shots and people thinking Capobianco could really pull it out,” Roth said. “And you never know. He has a great outside shot.” 

This year also saw more people and the revamping of former traditions. The 13,321 fans were also treated to a video of the historical “mop lady” who sang “Our Indiana” as she mopped the floor with phantomlike motions.

“We’re trying to bring back traditions,” Crean said. “We’re trying to restore some of the ones that need to be perked back up.”

All of the festivities of Friday’s Hoosier Hysteria contributed to an atmosphere that welcomed prospective recruits and a just as green IU men’s basketball with a warm reception.

“I thought the energy level was tremendous last year,” Crean said. “But it was even better this year.”

Everything that went on Friday night was short-lived, Crean said. IU will be back in Assembly Hall for an open practice 4p.m. Saturday.

“Tomorrow we’re back at it, heavily,” Crean said. “There won’t be a dunk contest tomorrow. It’ll be, ‘don’t let guys get layups, put on the ground and make them shoot."