sports field hockey

2 games set in Iowa this weekend

IU goes to Iowa City, Iowa, to play the Hawkeyes for its second Big Ten game on Friday and will see the Golden Bears on Saturday.

The Hoosiers dropped off the top-20 list this past weekend, with two losses in Ohio.

On Sept. 25, IU lost to Miami (Ohio) by a score of 5-1 and lost its Big Ten opener to Ohio State 3-2 on Sept. 27.

The Hoosiers are 5-4 and 0-1 in the Big Ten.

Iowa has a 9-2 lead all-time against IU.

“Iowa is a very well-coached team,” IU coach Amy Robertson said. “They play well in big space and then attack.”

Last year, the Hawkeyes beat the Hoosiers twice, once at home in the season 1-6 and once in the Big Ten Championships, 2-5.

The Hawkeyes are 3-5, with their first Big Ten win of the season against Michigan last Friday.

“We have really good competition with Iowa when we play them,” junior midfielder Kelsey Kiper said.

The Golden Bears are lead the series with the Hoosiers, 3-1.

The last meeting between the teams was two years ago, when IU won 2-0 in Berkley, Calif.

Cal is also 3-5 on this season. They earned their first Northern Pacific Conference win at home against Stanford last Sunday.

Last year, Cal went 13-5 on this season with a 5-1 conference record, putting them at the top of their league.

“Cal has really good players on their team,” senior midfielder Meg O’Connell said.

This weekend’s matchups will show if the Hoosiers can recover from last weekend’s two losses to Miami and Ohio State.

“We have to learn from the weekend before, and we have to come out at the very beginning with a lot more determination and tenacity,” Robertson said.