Worlds collide, comedy ensues at Opera

Shipwreck, lust, pranks and a foolish Bey combine to begin the IU Opera season.
“L’Italiana in Algeri,” presented by IU Opera, starts the season Friday with the first of five performances.

According to the Jacobs School of Music Web site, the opera opens in Algeria, where Mustafa, the Bey of Algeria, has grown tired of his wife Elvira and sends for an Italian wife. 

Meanwhile, he forces his Italian slave Lindoro to marry Elvira in order to get rid of her. Before the new couple leaves, Isabella, Lindoro’s fiance, is brought the Mustafa to be his new wife.

Jacobs graduate student Laura Wilde, who plays the role of Isabella, said she has had a positive experience being involved with the opera.

“It’s a very funny show, and we don’t take ourselves seriously,” Wilde said of her cast, who has been rehearsing several weeks.

She added that rehearsals have been rigorously going on since classes began.
Jacobs graduate student Elizabeth Pearse, who will be playing the role of Elvira, added that Jacobs School of Music faculty member Arthur Fagen was able to help out during rehearsals in June and July.  Pearse said she did not find too much difficulty in the intense rehearsal schedule.

“We’re double-cast, so we always get breaks throughout the evening,” Pearse said.

One of the main reasons so much time was devoted to the preparation of the opera was because of the difficulty of the score and arias. Jacobs graduate student Aubrey Allicock, who will play the role of Mustafa, said that most cast members had been preparing for the show since the summer.

“Rossini calls for a lot of vocal strength and a very solid technique,” he said.

Having two casts for the opera allows for more talent to be shown to the audience, and also tries to encourage audience members to come back and see another show.

“The two casts each have a wealth of talent,” Pearse said.  “It would be a shame to miss anyone.”

Allicock, Pearse and Wilde will all appear in Friday’s opening performance.
“I’m excited to feel the opening-night energy,” Wilde said.

Students who are hesitant about going to the opera are encouraged to come and enjoy the show.

“The music simply sparkles,”  Pearse said.

‘L’Italiana in Algeri’

WHEN 8 p.m. Friday, Saturday,
Oct. 2 and 3, with Opera Insights at 7 p.m.
WHERE Musical Arts Center
MORE INFO Opening night general admission: $25 adults, $12 students. All other performances reserved seating $15 to $35 adults, $10 to $20 students.