Sunday, June 16

Rap artists profess politics at the Bluebird

New York-based rapper and political activist Immortal Technique will perform a show with three other rap artists as part of the band’s 2009 Recession Tour Saturday at the Bluebird Nightclub.

Immortal Technique is currently touring with artists Poison Pen, J. Arch and Diabolic.

Immortal Technique is known for his political activism, with many of his songs featuring social commentary. He is also noted for his rejection of record companies, being offered and refusing record contracts in favor of retaining his creative control on his music.

One of the themes in the Recession Tour is the perceived fall in the music industry. In an open letter to his fans on his MySpace blog about the tour, Immortal Technique said all the artists on the tour were “taking a pay cut and rockin’ shows for a fraction of what we would get” to prove to everyone that hardcore street hop is still thriving.

“Bloomington, Indiana, can expect raw energy and pure passion from Poison Pen,” the rapper said in an e-mail. “I give the audience exactly what I want them to give back to me.”

Poison Pen, one of the thriving musicians touring with Immortal Technique, released a new album, “The Money Shot,” in August. The album has a song Pen collaborated with Immortal Technique called “The Second Amendment.”

“Touring with Technique is nothing new,” Poison Pen wrote in the same e-mail. “We have been performing together the past 10 years before any of us had records out. It’s pretty much us just putting our heart & soul into our craft and having a ball while we do it.”

Pen started out as a battle MC from Brooklyn, and briefly retired in 1999, only to return to the music business for financial benefit.

He has rapped on Dave Chapelle’s Block Party, VH1 Hip Hop Honors and MTV’s “The Shop,” which was based on a New York City barbershop. Pen has previously toured Hungary, the Netherlands and Norway.

Zenobia Simmons, director of Urban Promotions at !K7 Label Group, which includes Pen’s label, said that Pen is “one of the best battle rappers, performers and entertaining rappers around.”

“Pen is able to laugh at himself,” Simmons said. “He also has a message and strong political messages in his music, but he still has fun.”

Poison Pen said he is excited to return to Bloomington for another show.
“We are expecting a great turnout,” he said, “This isn’t my first time in Bloomington. Last year we played to a packed house.”

The tour has already been to Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky and Illinois and will head to Michigan and Ohio before finishing in Pennsylvania on Sept. 30.

Immortal Technique at the Bluebird

WHAT 2009 Recession Tour
WHEN 8 p.m. Sunday
WHERE The Bluebird
COST Admission is $13.