Monday, June 17

Nostalgia keeps an old Frankie Valli in season

Fankie Vallie

Innocent, nostalgic music drew nearly a full house of people from each generation reaching back to the ‘60s to see rock ’n’ roll icon Frankie Valli Saturday at the IU Auditorium.

Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons’ first hit, “Sherry,” became a success in 1962, and Valli has not stopped singing since. Though the members of the Four Seasons are now younger versions of the original band, Valli, 75, has stayed true to his songs’ message.

“I’ve seen him before, so I knew what to expect,” freshman Katheryn Purcell said. “He sounded really good. I think he’s the cutest man alive.”

The Four Seasons roster has changed repeatedly throughout the years. However, the same four singers, Landon Beard, Todd Fournier, Brian Brigham and Brandon Brigham, have been the main members of the group for the last three years, Brian Brigham said.

“Almost all of us have a similar story,” Beard said. “We were professionally singing around Los Angeles and heard that a guy singing with Frankie Valli was leaving. That was six years ago. So me, Brian and Brandon auditioned.”

The young members of the Four Seasons have the opportunity to see the country with Valli, Beard said.

“We almost do this for the times when we’re not working,” Beard said. “We’ll all be on the tour bus just watching a movie and hanging out with Frankie. Something will spark his mind and he’ll tell you about something that happened in 1963. You get him to talk, and then he doesn’t stop.”

Ever since “Jersey Boys,” the Broadway play centered on Frankie Valli’s life, took off in November 2005, Valli’s show schedule has increased considerably, Brian Brigham said.

The tour usually plays at big performing art houses or casinos, he said, but they play at other college campuses as well.

“It’s not about the venue, but the city,” Beard said. “It seems like this city is really energetic.”

Once the band sings “December 1963 (Oh, What a Night),” the crowd gets really into the music, Fournier said.

“The music is really nostalgic for people,” he said. “Looking into the audience and seeing the looks on everyone’s faces is the best part. It just takes everyone back. This was a good crowd, once they let go of their inhibitions.”

During the concert, Valli spoke about political issues, advocating peace for today’s world.

“He tries to be modern,” Purcell said. “I wanted to be like ‘Frankie Valli 2012!’”

William Morris, a Bloomington resident, said the show is a lot more “Las Vegas”-style now.

“I’m from the same neighborhood as Frankie Valli,” he said. “I know people that knew him when he was younger. I saw him in concert 30 years ago; it’s not the same as it used to be. But he is what he is.”

Valli performed a 90-minute show, which included songs such as “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You,” “Working My Way Back to You” and a cover of the Temptations’“My Girl,” as well as two encore songs.

“He’s not going to go on forever,” Fournier said. “Although it seems like he will.”