sports golf

Men, women finish in 3rd

The IU men’s and women’s golf teams started their 2009-10 season this weekend with third-place finishes in each of its tournaments.

The women’s team competed in the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich., finishing the tournament with a three-round total of 892 (294, 293, 305).  

“We know that we have as much talent as anyone in the Big Ten, and this weekend validated that belief,” IU coach Clint Wallman said. “We do have some work to compete consistently at a high level.”

Senior Kellye Belcher led the Hoosiers with a three-round total of 218 (73, 69, 76), which gave her a fifth-place individual finish.  

Belcher’s second round 69 tied for the second-lowest round of the tournament.

“I hit some iron shots really close and started making some putts – which I didn’t make in the first round,” Belcher said. “I had a really good mindset and just kept on making birdies.”

The men’s team went from seventh to third place in Sunday’s final round at the Wolf Run Intercollegiate in Zionsville, Ind. The Hoosiers had a three-round total of 871 (298, 288, 285).

Sophomore David Erdy shot a final round 65, which tied his career low and the course record at Wolf Run, to place him 4th individually with a three-round total of 210.

“I really wasn’t hitting it well the first two rounds, and I bogeyed my first hole today,” Erdy said. “But I felt a lot better on the range today and sometimes you just get on streaks and just get it done and that’s what I did.”

Fellow sophomore Chase Wright (215) finished in ninth place.

IU coach Mike Mayer said he was pleased with his squad’s performance.

“This is a strong, strong tournament and to finish third in this tournament is a great start to the season,” Mayer said. “We got better every single round, and it was a good team effort.”