sports volleyball

IU upsets No. 16 Michigan State, splits weekend

Volleyball

IU volleyball coach Sherry Dunbar spoke of the need to apply pressure on favored Big Ten foes as her team prepared to enter its conference slate.

Her players took that message to heart.

The Hoosiers (12-4, 1-1) split their first two Big Ten matches at home, falling to No. 8 Michigan on Friday and then upsetting No. 16 Michigan State on Saturday.

The Hoosiers entered University Gym on Saturday with renewed energy and chemistry after a loss against Michigan and knocked off the No. 16 Spartans (12-2, 0-2) to earn their first Big Ten victory of the season.

IU won the match by scores of 25-19, 18-25, 25-23 and 25-18.

“I think we earned it,” Dunbar said. “I think for once, we went out, we really competed, we fought for every point and we got rewarded for it.”

The Hoosiers started strong in the first set as freshmen Kelci Marschall, Samantha Thrower and Jordan Haverly recorded four, three and two kills, respectively. Thrower and Haverly also posted two block assists.

The momentum shifted to Michigan State’s court in the second frame as the Spartans’ hitting evened the match at one set apiece.

IU’s freshmen continued to shine in a tight third set as Haverly recorded two consecutive kills late in the frame and Marschall had another, leading to a set-clinching ace by sophomore libero Caitlin Cox.

The Hoosiers carried momentum into the fourth set to seal the upset. Thrower put away the final point.

“It was really amazing,” Thrower said of the win. “Everyone was out there supporting each other, just firing each other up, and it was awesome.”

IU opened its conference schedule against the Wolverines (13-1, 1-0), whose hitting and serving proved too much for the Hoosiers as they swept the contest by scores of 25-17, 25-16 and 25-23.

“They earn their eighth ranking in the country,” Dunbar said of Michigan. “You’ve got to respect teams like that. I never say anything bad about those types of programs because they have great tradition and they earn it, but we’ve got to find a way to get to that point, too.”

For IU, junior middle blocker Ashley Benson and freshman outside hitter Jordan Haverly led the way with 12 and 10 kills, respectively.

After Michigan cruised in the initial two frames, IU kept the third set tight, climbing to a 19-17 lead before the Wolverines surged to match point. The Hoosiers staged a run on Haverly’s serve, but Michigan held on to seal the match.

Dunbar said IU needs the energy displayed in that third set from the moment the team takes the court.

“We needed it a lot earlier,” Dunbar said. “We really talked after the match, and we’ve got to find a way to come out and have that fire from set one, not after I give them that fire. That’s a great team and we’ve got to give them respect, but we also have to earn respect on our side. ”

IU continues Big Ten play against Purdue at 7 p.m. Wednesday in West Lafayette. Haverly said the Hoosiers want to make a statement to their in-state rival.

“We’re just going to focus on competing and coming out hard once we get there and showing them that Indiana is ready to take it to them,” Haverly said.