Getting the football atmosphere right

I have been fan of all Hoosier sports for four years now. I am a senior and have attended nearly every football and basketball game, and I can honestly say I love this University.
I do have one big concern regarding football.
Hoosier football fans are few and far between, yet everybody seems to wake up still hung over and ready to “tailgate.” I can’t tell you how many times I have heard in class, on the bus and walking down Kirkwood Avenue that people can’t wait to tailgate.
But wait! Tailgate? Do they not realize that the whole reason to “tailgate” is to get pumped up and ready for the football game? I realize tailgating is fun, and I enjoy it myself, but when kids just set out to tailgate and not support their own school’s team, it is a disgrace. Not just a disgrace to themselves, but to the team, the athletics department, your staff, as well as the University.
I believe that more can be done to instill in bandwagon fans that without them coming to the games, the team will always be sub-par. I realize the team has struggled for nearly all 125 years of its existence, but why not change that? Imagine going to an Ohio State game and having only 30,000 fans.
The bottom line is that it is sad that we cannot fill one of the smallest stadiums in the Big Ten. We have the best fans and students in the conference, but for some reason they do not show during football season.
Just put yourself in the players’ shoes for one moment, looking up into the crowd and seeing the stadium half-full, when every single road game you play is full of true fans screaming and rooting for the home team. It has to be degrading to the team and affect their performance, regardless of what the critics say.
Overall, I believe IU has a legitimate opportunity to become an elite team – not only in the Big Ten, but also the nation. It will take time, but I seriously believe it starts with the fans. We need to pack the stadium to get Hoosier football’s engine revving and ready to head to the top!
No more cheesy signs trying to pack the stadium; let’s get the student body excited and ready to cheer on the team regardless of results, because no matter what, we all attend IU and should support our team to the fullest. It starts with having the Hoosier heart!

Tyler Schutz
IU senior

More

LETTER: New arts leader named

I have always had a special affinity for art in places where art “isn’t supposed to be.” Certainly, most of us enjoy an afternoon browsing a gallery or museum, but there is something really nice about finding art in unexpected places.

LETTER: Disability harassment happens on our campus

I would like to bring to the attention of the IDS the fact that harassment of disabled students occurs regularly at IU Bloomington. I personally know of physically impaired students who have been harassed in Ballantine Hall for taking the elevator up or down one floor.  And they aren’t just harassed by fellow students; faculty and staff are guilty, too.  Just because someone looks healthy, doesn’t mean that they are.  Invisible disabilities are any of a number of chronic conditions that significantly impair normal activities of daily living while showing no outward signs of the illness. I also know of a physically impaired student who was made fun of recently for riding a scooter in Forest Residence Center.  This is a student who can barely walk—and only for short distances—and only when feeling physically up to it. This same student was also harassed in the Forest parking lot by someone who didn’t think a handicap parking space should be used by a disabled student, even though the appropriate IU parking permit was displayed in the car.  Harassment may be reported to the IU Incident Teams at  (812) 855-8188 or incident@indiana.edu. I mention these incidents because they happened to students I know.  And if they can happen to them, they can happen to anyone.  I ask the entire campus community: How would you feel if someone you cared about was ridiculed or harassed because they had a disability?  How does it feel to learn that members of the campus community, whether you know them or not, have to deal with harassment at IU Bloomington on a daily basis? I urge us all to think before speaking, show some Hoosier compassion, and offer to help instead of contributing to an intolerant environment.  I also urge the IDS to investigate and report on the harassment of disabled students on this campus. As an IU alumna, IU employee, and IU parent, I hate to think of Indiana University’s reputation being tarnished by charges of harassment of any kind. Melissa Thorne Bloomington