Coach Tom Crean offers advice to students, fans at IU Auditorium

Tom Crean at Aud

The cheers began before he walked onto the stage.

The clapping and hollering continued as IU coach Tom Crean, clad in stone-washed jeans and an IU zip-up, entered the IU Auditorium on Wednesday.

As the pep band played the alma mater and the IU logo flashed on the gold curtains, Crean walked across the podium, clapping with them.

And while the audience only comprised one-third of the room, Crean had their attention.

His voice boomed, a combination of enthusiasm and audio projection.

The attendance of 980 was a jump from last year’s 800 who showed up for Crean’s inaugural year.

He began his speech discussing last season. He didn’t dance around last year’s 6-25 record, saying how hard the situation is.

“What we inherited a year ago, I don’t think anyone could put in context what that was,” Crean said. “(Athletics Director) Fred Glass said, ‘You’re dealing with the equivalent of a death penalty in basketball.’”

But Crean was upbeat.

He turned around and pointed out the back of his zip-up, adorned with the five national championship banners.  

From alumni to students – including the famous gorilla – he addressed them all.
During the question-and-answer portion, students mostly heaped praise for Crean. But there was the inevitable question of a student section.

Crean acknowledged how important the fan support has been, especially since students make up more than twice the audience in Assembly Hall as students do in other Big Ten schools.

Aside from basketball questions, Crean offered advice to the students. He talked about going to junior college before attending Central Michigan, about taking 20 credit hours while working two jobs and about moving away from home.

“You have got to find a way to separate yourself,” he said. “Because in this world now you’re supposed to compete until that bell sounds.”

IU fan Ted Harvey, now in his 31st year of celebrating Hoosier basketball, said it was tough to watch the team struggle last year. But he remained supportive of Crean.
“The team played hard, and that’s because of Coach,” he said.

With Hoosier Hysteria more than three weeks away and the first exhibition game six weeks away, Crean’s enthusiasm is early.

“One of the greatest stories to ever hit sports,” he said, “is when we get the comeback of Indiana basketball.”