Replacing Assembly Hall would add to recent IU hoops misfortune

Throughout the recent years, the talk of a new game facility for the IU basketball program has been a hot topic. While construction is already underway on the program’s new practice facility near the south end of Assembly Hall, anyone hoping IU basketball doesn’t take another blow needs to wish the practice arena is the extent of construction.

The topic was recently brought up on “The Dan Dakich Show” on ESPN Radio Indianapolis. A caller who brought the idea of a new arena to Dakich’s attention claimed it would help recruiting and bring the storied program up to date.

Dakich, who respectfully interrupted the caller with his disagreement, said the arena would actually hurt recruiting, in addition to the tradition and lore of the program.

“It’s iconic,” Dakich said. “You will never convince me Indiana needs a new basketball arena.”

With due respect to the caller for bringing up such a bold thought, I would really like to know where his head was. Take a look around the country at other solidified programs like Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina.

Does anyone think the Dukies are feeling pressure to replace Cameron Indoor Stadium and its second-to-none, raucous environment for a new, state-of-the-art building? That’s what practice facilities are for – the glitz and glamour.

If I were Tom Crean, Roy Williams, Ben Howland or John Calipari, I wouldn’t want a player who is too caught up in playing in the most up-to-date edifice that offers 50 hot dog toppings and video games on the back of seats. Bring me a kid with desire to be a part of history, while making history.

New York has Madison Square Garden and Yankee Stadium. Chicago has Soldier Field and Wrigley Field. Indiana has Notre Dame Stadium and Assembly Hall.

Sporting venues eventually need to be replaced. Heck, there are even said to be concrete chunks falling out of Wrigley Field. But why cut them short, especially the more prestigious ones, when they still have life in them?

How would your die-hard, bleacher-bum Cubs fan react to Wrigley Field replaced for something that might as well be called an amusement park?

Assembly Hall, in and of itself, attracts too many people. In a season like last year’s, it’s the building that can bring a few thousand to a game when the team isn’t as big a draw.

Forget the rumors of Mark Cuban’s offer to fund the building if beer vendors were allowed; is alcohol bigger than the game and what put Hoosier Hysteria on the map?
It’s a question that trustees and the athletics department need to contemplate.