Iranian athletes protest silently

LONDON – News about the election protests in Iran is impossible to avoid. Major newspapers, broadcasters and even Twitter are carrying reports daily about the fake election results.

While citizens rally in the streets, one group of Iranians spoke on the field.

The Iranian national soccer team, in Wednesday’s World Cup qualifying match against South Korea, wore green wristbands showing its support for Mir-Hossein Mousavi, the political opponent of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

A picture of the team ended up on Twitter, which has been a popular outlet for Mousavi-supporters. Later, news outlets reported that the team had taken off the wristbands after the first half.

The game was broadcast on state television, and people standing outside the stadium showed their frustration with the questionable election results. The team’s actions were brave – many protestors have been killed or beaten in the streets.

The players can’t compare to the thousands of people who have refused to accept the official election results. But they are another example of a special class of athletes who care more about their country than their win-loss record.

Teams are always reflections of their country. And a team that uses a game to create a stir shows even dictators cannot silence a group of resilient people.

Whether it’s the Afghan soccer team in 2002 or America’s John Carlos and Tommie Smith in 1968, athletes have frequently used stadiums to reflect their political beliefs.
They have the world’s attention for a short period of time, but they can create a lasting impression.

Americans have the luxury of a stable country, freedom of speech and access to the media. U.S. athletes have bodyguards to protect them from obnoxious fans, but who will protect this Iranian team when it returns to Iran from South Korea? Who will make sure the citizens of Iran get the democratic election they deserve? Who will count the votes?

Tragedies remind us that sports are crucial to society, but even the most ardent fan must admit when there are more pressing issues. Though the World Cup is a major event and brings prestige to the winning nation, no victory can replace a stable government.  

Iran tied South Korea 1-1 in Wednesday’s match. A win would’ve clinched it a spot in the 2010 World Cup.  

Even so, it’ll take more than 90 minutes of running on a field of grass to get a real victory.